• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Towing M1101

ProximityX

Bikeman dropped off my M1101 trailer last week. THANKS!

I flipped the lunette ring so the trailer is level behind the M1078. Tows great and made a successful trash run today. Note: When the lunette is flipped, there's no notch for the emergency-pull brake lever so the lunette cannot slide properly in the sleeve to allow the brakes to function. If anyone has a mod so the brakes will work when the lunette is flipped, please let me know.

Today is some great LMTV weather, let me tell ya. Funny how small the SUV looks next to the 1078.
--Dave

Attachments

Terrh

I wonder what the actual safe tow capacity is of the LMTV.

The TM states two very conflicting things, one is that the LMTV and pintle hitch are both capable of towing 12,000LB only, and the other is that any LMTV is capable of flat towing any other LMTV at GVWR, which is almost double that at 21,500LBS.

I know that just by looking at it it can clearly handle towing more than a 3/4 ton truck, and many of those are capable of towing well over 15,000LB these days.

I just realized that maybe the 12,000LB limit still allows the LMTV to hit it's governed top speed, and when flat towing another the combination can probably only reach 50 tops.

That trailer looks great behind there, and a lot more practical than the LMTV/MTV trailers are thanks to having a much lower cargo height.

What does the M1101 lunette look like when it's out of the trailer? There may be a commercially available drop/rise one that will allow you to have functional brakes, but without seeing it I can't say for sure.

Also, considering the weight of that trailer and it's maximum capacity (4200LB if you go by 1102 specs, which are identical) brakes are probably not really necessary, though they are always nice to have.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I saw a kit at one time I am pretty sure it was for lmtv trucks to lower the hitch. There were lots of them run thru auction a few months ago and I have seen them pop up for sale on eBay. Wholly overpriced though. A dodge pickup can tow 20k I don't see why the m1078 couldn't easily do that. Especially if the trailer has its own brakes.

sandcobra164

I drive a M1089A1P2 occasionally. It's the new "Wrecker" variant on this line of trucks. While I never flat tow, I have done quite a few lift tows of fellow MTV variants. When towing a "5 Ton" dual rear axle variant (Current MTV's only), I leave the blue air hose unhooked as they do not release the air brakes after roughly 5 stops. Never an issue on the single axle variants so the blue hose is hooked. That means the Wrecker I tow with has to stop not only it's 40,000 lbs but the other 23,000 pounds hooked behind it or more. Certainly I drive very much on the conservaitve side when towing but I have never had an issue. Can an LMTV handle an M1101 or 1102 without actuating it's brakes? I do believe you are safe. My M1028 handles one just fine and the trailer was towed home by a Deuce with the lunette flipped with no issues.

buffalorunner

Depending on your skill level, you could always cut the pintle off at the drop portion and weld it back on so it rises and the lunette is in the tongue the correct orientation. I did something similar so I could have a longer hitch to tow behind my Jeep, sit level, and clear the swing door on the Jeep.

Chism

Bikeman dropped off my M1101 trailer last week. THANKS!

I flipped the lunette ring so the trailer is level behind the M1078. Tows great and made a successful trash run today. Note: When the lunette is flipped, there's no notch for the emergency-pull brake lever so the lunette cannot slide properly in the sleeve to allow the brakes to function. If anyone has a mod so the brakes will work when the lunette is flipped, please let me know.

Today is some great LMTV weather, let me tell ya. Funny how small the SUV looks next to the 1078.
--Dave
I just won a 2009 M1102 to tow with my 2007 M1083. Does the stock trailer lunette ring fit my stock pintle? I understand the height issue...just wondering about diameter of the two...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is what I did to my hitch so I could use the M1101 with my pickup ball 2 5/16". I can add a bolt on ring at the higher location.

I noticed a lot of play and found bent metal brackets that when straightened, tightened the entire mechanism to what in must have been new. I also added a location for a 3/8" bolt to go through if the free reverse were to not work or I just want it solid, without brakes (example a broken line).

Attachments

coachgeo

Here is what I did to my hitch ....
I noticed a lot of play and found bent metal brackets that when straightened, tightened the entire mechanism to what in must have been new. I also added a location for a 3/8" bolt to go through if the free reverse were to not work or I just want it solid, without brakes (example a broken line).
what hitch was it when new? Is that the OEM hitch of an M1101 or something else?

Update: answering my own question..... according to pics posted later by TobyS....... answer appears to be " Yes" the hitch Toby repaired and updated to have a ball hitch is from a M1101

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks