• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 - Transmission/Transfer case Binding

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently acquired a 98' M1078 with the WTECIII. It has an issue which I believe is focused on the transfer case (mechanically). The truck will start and go into gear, both Drive and Reverse, but it will not move. The transmission engages appropriately and puts a load on the engine but the truck does not move. It feels like one set the parking brake and put the truck into gear. The truck will not move when the engine is running, even in neutral, if pushed or pulled by another vehicle. No amount of throttle, mode on/off, or shifting of gear will release the truck from this state unless manually down shifting into 1st. The truck goes into 1st easy and the truck suddenly unbinds and can drive in that gear.

The transmission fluid smells burned, obviously not good, and some fine metal particulate attracted by the pan plug and filter. No large chunks or notable pieces of things. I've drained the fluid and rinsed with 10w to see if anything else would be flushed out but nothing notable. Oddly, when I started the truck it went into reverse and moved about 20 feet before coming to an abrupt stop. I was unable to replicate this and assume a pocket of air finally filled somewhere and something locked up being the issue here.

I've pulled the plate next to the rear output shaft to visually inspect with a camera but nothing seen there. I've pulled the transmission filters and they're in good shape. Same fine metal particulate but nothing large enough to be caught by the filter by the naked eye.

To eliminate an axle/diff issue I put the truck on 4 stands and worked it through the gears. It's the same as above. 1st gear allows everything to operate as it should but going to any gear results in the transferase locking up immediately and stop turning the wheels.

Other thoughts and notes to consider:
Yes, the brakes have been verified to release.
Yes, the vehicle rolls free with the engine off and brakes released.
No codes on the gear selector.
New batteries and good power connections.
"Mode" causes no change.

I'm leaning towards swapping the transmission/transfer case unit as a whole for all the reasons listed above but it's worth trying other ideas in the mean time.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it just be the clutch packs basically shot/burnt up ? Could you try some kind of friction enhancer to see if the clutchs would grip better ? Or the pump is weak ! This would be a pain but drop a u joint at each axle jack them up to see if each axle spins free !

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny, the old Hydramatic GMC deuces would do that too, the reduction unit would get the planetary locked and engaged at the same time. In your case, I think the problem is electrical. I suspect the TCM is commanding a clutch and band at the same time. I would send the TCM off to make sure it has the proper flash.

ramdough

Funny, the old Hydramatic GMC deuces would do that too, the reduction unit would get the planetary locked and engaged at the same time. In your case, I think the problem is electrical. I suspect the TCM is commanding a clutch and band at the same time. I would send the TCM off to make sure it has the proper flash.
He could swap in a known good TCM and see if that changes anything. He has multiple trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could it just be the clutch packs basically shot/burnt up ? Could you try some kind of friction enhancer to see if the clutchs would grip better ? Or the pump is weak ! This would be a pain but drop a u joint at each axle jack them up to see if each axle spins free !
With the truck off both axles spin free. It's on jack stands now and I can manipulate them by hand easy. I can try the friction enhancer as I swap TCMs. CAn't hurt at this point.

Ronmar

Not the transfer case, its the transmission. It sounds as if your C6 valve is stuck open. It operating normally only in first is a important clue. That is the only place the C6 clutch is used. If it is engaging all the time you are trying to apply 2 gear ratios simultaneously, effectively locking the transmission, except in first. Since the trans is locked you are doing a torque converter stall test every time you rev the engine. This will heat the oil up pretty quickly. If it partially engaged while driving this would have burnt C6 clutch material untill it fully engaged and drug the truck to a stop…

you can confirm this with a hydraulic pressure gauge connected to the C6 test port on the bottom of the transmission control module… it should only have pressure(200+PSI) when the trans is in 1st gear…

Last edited:

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the truck off both axles spin free. It's on jack stands now and I can manipulate them by hand easy. I can try the friction enhancer as I swap TCMs. CAn't hurt at this point.
Maybe dumb question but did you spin every tire/wheel ?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would wager it started with a C6 thrust bearing failure. Agree with Ron - drives in mode means C6 must be engaged. And if the TCM isn't reporting a problem then it's unable to detect the issue which means either an electrical failure causing C6 to remain engaged (seems unlikely) or C6 is mechanically not releasing. Given the burnt fluid and metallic debris - sounds like a safe bet. Definitely try another TCM but I wouldn't hold my breath. Probably time to pull the transmission - have you inspected the screen on the scavenge line?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks