• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 Caterpillar pin outs on computer schematic

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really did a search because I had seen where someone had written in about a no start on their engine. I could not find it and I knew at the time I should save it but... So I am asking if I could borrow a cup of schematic for the engine computer so as to check for power and grounds. Please and thank you
I should also ask that if this a common problem maybe someone has an experience or suggestion to throw my way? appreciate it!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which engine?

If it's a 3126B, check the jumper harness that the military installed to delete the deprecated EMI filter box near the ECM. The chassis side connectors and the jumper harness itself are prone to water intrusion and anytime I see these I delete them entirely. Cut out the chassis side connectors and splice the wires directly. There's one power and one ground coming in and going out. Don't mix them up or you will damage the ECM. Each of them feeds two pins on the ECM. Two ground pins and two constant 24v battery positive pins.

Last edited:

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which engine?

If it's a 3126B, check the jumper harness that the military installed to delete the deprecated EMI filter box near the ECM. The chassis side connectors and the jumper harness itself are prone to water intrusion and anytime I see these I delete them entirely. Cut out the chassis side connectors and splice the wires directly. There's one power and one ground coming in and going out. Don't mix them up or you will damage the ECM. Each of them feeds two pins on the ECM. Two ground pins and two constant 24v battery positive pins.
It is a 3126/ Checked with Caterpillar/ It is not a B/ Thanks for responding/
By the way-would that schematic be the same as a civilian designated 3126?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It IS a 3126B. That's all the military used in our trucks (besides the 3116 and C7 of course) CAT is often confused with military serial numbers and in any case it doesn't really matter. The chassis side pinout is the same and I believe pretty much the same on the C7 as well.

Since all 3126's use the same computer - civilian or military - they all have the same pinout.

Lugnuts

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It IS a 3126B. That's all the military used in our trucks (besides the 3116 and C7 of course) CAT is often confused with military serial numbers and in any case it doesn't really matter. The chassis side pinout is the same and I believe pretty much the same on the C7 as well.

Since all 3126's use the same computer - civilian or military - they all have the same pinout.
Do you happen to have such the pin out?

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you happen to have such the pin out?
It's spread out all over the diagrams. Here's the engine side of the 3126B:

CATF01_large.jpg

Both connectors (J1 and J2), share the same 70 pin numbering. This is looking at the back of the chassis side - so as if you are staring at the allen bolt that retains the connector to the ECM:

ca22603_large.jpg

The chassis side wiring is part of the truck schematic. You can find a selection of the A1 through A1R schematics here: