• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 - Crank no start

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
while battery may not be replaceable... wonder if it could be supplemented???.... as in.. if energy will flow thru bad battery even though it will no longer "store it".... could one pigggy back another battery to it? Have not seen the board..... so wonder if.. bad battery could be un-soldered and new on soldered in? Granted that won't help if battery has already died and your ecm's program was lost during the lack of power time.
I sacrificed my bad ecm to look into that. The back of the case can be removed easily but the battery is on the front. Removing the board from the case will result in destroying the thermal epoxy on the switches and breaking the seals around the 70 pin connectors. Possibly baking it could result in an easier separation but that's a big if. The battery on this one read at 0.2V. As for replacing the battery that would blank out the unit once the battery is removed so only adding a battery would be a possibility without having it reprogrammed. aua

Attachments

pontiac62

Thank you fuzzy for your trials and tribulations. Glad you were able to get your truck running.

So much for new technology. I was curious about your progress now I know why it was awhile between updates.

No wonder municipalities have been auctioning off these none running trucks. Not say the reason is the same fault but they not going to put that much effort and money into getting them running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man of few words

M1081 LVAD

coachgeo

I sacrificed my bad ecm to look into that. ... As for replacing the battery that would blank out the unit once the battery is removed so only adding a battery would be a possibility without having it reprogrammed. aua
thanks for the info. How does it look for piggy backing in another battery, better yet two battery holders.... the one extra being used when pulling out one as you replace the other ? Might be an upgrade folk at some point should consider if it would work without causing other issues. Along with a warning light that shows battery is beginning to go so you can replace it before it is too late.

Does this issue of non replace able battery exist on any older boards as well? Obviously not if 3116 motor..... cause it is not computerized. But What about tranny computer mated to any of the motors.... is there a battery in those?

Last edited:

spankybear

Is that the battery, the round thing with the pink label? I know we use a battery like that at work. If there's a place to solder on some test points to power the unit maybe a way to change the battery? Sounds like a niche market if someone could find a way. I guess CAT is going the way of modern electronic with planned obsolescent.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The first gen trucks have mechanical engines. A1 are electronic. Overall the cat engine electronics is reliable and road proven. These engines are in all types of heavy equipment, semi trucks, RV’s, generators and more. Strange things do seem to happen with military trucks though. This truck could have been sitting dead for years though.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the info. How does it look for piggy backing in another battery, better yet two battery holders.... the one extra being used when pulling out one as you replace the other ? Might be an upgrade folk at some point should consider if it would work without causing other issues. Along with a warning light that shows battery is beginning to go so you can replace it before it is too late.

Does this issue of non replace able battery exist on any older boards as well? Obviously not if 3116 motor..... cause it is not computerized. But What about tranny computer mated to any of the motors.... is there a battery in those?
There's space in the case so I bet it's doable. If anything one could take it to a dealer and let them clone the ECM then you do the swap and get it reflashed but that's $150-$500 depending who you talk to. I'm not sure if a warning light would do any good as getting the unit open is one thing but getting it off the engine to check is another. I asked if there was a certain pin combination to take a reading off the internal battery but they weren't sure. As for other older ECMs yes. The 3401 had the same issue and some Detroit that I came across. There could be more but I didn't dig into it as it didn't help my case.

So can the dealer read the program off a good ecm and then hard flash it back permanently to the ecm?
Yes as long as that ECM was programmed to that specific engine. Once it's hard flashed that's it, it will only work on an engine of that exact setup. They asked me if I wanted to put the engine serial in my new ECM and I asked if that made a difference and they said no. It's primarily for identification purposes if you take it off the engine.

Is that the battery, the round thing with the pink label? I know we use a battery like that at work. If there's a place to solder on some test points to power the unit maybe a way to change the battery? Sounds like a niche market if someone could find a way. I guess CAT is going the way of modern electronic with planned obsolescent.
Yes that is the battery and I've not spent the time to source equivalents. I'm sure this type of work falls under board refurbishment and people can do it but it's $$$. I don't think CAT planned for this as it was their first electric mid-range diesel engine according to the internet and they changed the way they do things.
What sounds crazy to me is what does the military do in the field?

Get out and push. rofl
What a logistical nightmare. Makes m939 look a whole better....
I agree from a reliability standpoint, but now that its been replaced the unit will last another 20 years or more.
The first gen trucks have mechanical engines. A1 are electronic. Overall the cat engine electronics is reliable and road proven. These engines are in all types of heavy equipment, semi trucks, RV’s, generators and more. Strange things do seem to happen with military trucks though. This truck could have been sitting dead for years though.
CAT's stuff is reliable and proven and this may be a fluke. No telling how many vehicles fell prey to this fault. My truck was actually given a clear bill of health in June of 2016 (came with maint papers) and sent to the LAFED out of Baton Rouge where they never got it to start. So at most the truck sat from June 2016 to October 2017 which is about a year and a half. No signs of lightning strike or tampering with the ECM it self like swapping it around.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump for those who've not read this thread. I came across a C7 truck that was giving a code for a dying ECM battery. The internal clock said it was 1/1/2037+ so it's dead on the board. Luckily the issue was solved on the later gen trucks (this was a 2005) so the file was hard flashed. With the battery disconnect switch off when parked it proves the unit is still able to run the truck despite the dead battery.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks