• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078a1 starter removal (bolts)

Ovrlnd1

Hello, hopefully just a quick question. How many mounting bolts (12 point) are there from the starter to the engine mount? I thought there were supposed to be 3 but I have wires and 3 bolts all removed and the starter is still in there solid. I have tried tapping on it to get it to budge, but nothing. I just don't see another mounting bolt.

Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hello, hopefully just a quick question. How many mounting bolts (12 point) are there from the starter to the engine mount? I thought there were supposed to be 3 but I have wires and 3 bolts all removed and the starter is still in there solid. I have tried tapping on it to get it to budge, but nothing. I just don't see another mounting bolt.

Thanks
Just three.

Ovrlnd1

Thanks. I have hit it pretty good already. Usually I can feel a starter give a little, but not this one.

Not sure about the pinon still engaged. Reason for removing it, is all I get is the bendex solenoid clicking. Not starter/engine turn over. Want to pull it and bench test/clean it up. Battery voltage is 25.3 at rest, 22.7 trying to start.

I'll try a bigger hammer tomorrow. 😁

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m considering removing my starter on my 2003
A1 with the 3126 engine and have the local starter repair shop pull it apart and clean it up and check everything out, before we head off on our overlanding journey. I haven’t had a moments trouble with it for the 7 years I’ve owned it and 5,000 miles I’ve put on it. Total miles on it are 10,500 miles. Your opinions, is it worth it if I haven’t had any problems?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I’m considering removing my starter on my 2003
A1 with the 3126 engine and have the local starter repair shop pull it apart and clean it up and check everything out, before we head off on our overlanding journey. I haven’t had a moments trouble with it for the 7 years I’ve owned it and 5,000 miles I’ve put on it. Total miles on it are 10,500 miles. Your opinions, is it worth it if I haven’t had any problems?
Put a gear reduction unit on it and be done.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you tried to move the flywheel with a big flathead / prybar to maybe take any pressure off the starter if the gear drive is still engaged with the flywheel ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have not. I will try that today. It's just weird how solid the starter still is with everything disconnected and un-bolted. Must be binding somewhere. I'll try turning over the engine a bit to see if that helps.
You would be shocked how hard it is to get a starter off when it's a wet clutch setup. They are siliconed on as well

Ovrlnd1

Finally got it out. Best tool working on these is the biggest tool, (hammer)! Thank you all for the help.

Tested the starter and it seems to work fine not under load. Spins fine and pinion gear pops out/engages. Going to be in the big city this week, so I'm hoping to find somewhere to have it tested under load.

Any other thoughts on why it would only click and not spin/turn in the truck?

Thanks again!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Finally got it out. Best tool working on these is the biggest tool, (hammer)! Thank you all for the help.

Tested the starter and it seems to work fine not under load. Spins fine and pinion gear pops out/engages. Going to be in the big city this week, so I'm hoping to find somewhere to have it tested under load.

Any other thoughts on why it would only click and not spin/turn in the truck?

Thanks again!
Bad contact more than likely. Take the solenoid apart. Flip the copper washer over and reinstall the solenoid

Ronmar

Brush and commutator could be dirty/full of crap and shorting/not flowing full current to the proper windings in sequence. When that happens you loose torque. Same issue can occur with the solenoid contacts, or the conductor pathways to the starter Are limiting current. You checked voltage at the batteries while cranking. You can check those same cranking voltages at the input and output of the solenoid and the input to the motor. In a perfect world they should fall off about the same as the battery, or only slightly more due to line losses when cranking. If they drop off significantly farther, this indicates a weak connection/contact unable to feed enough current to maintain the voltage under load.

its a 3126/A1 so you don't have a instrument shunt in the ground path and should have a single large gauge ground wire from batteries to front of motor housing. Current has to flow around the whole pathway, so don't neglect that half of the circuit.

I recently troubleshot something similar on my 30HP diesel tractor. I incorrectly assumed my 05 vintage battery was finally giving up the ghost, but when I dropped in another battery it did the same thing. When I finally dug out my meter and my brain, and measured voltages, I had nearly the same voltage drop all the way to the starter motor input. Pulled the starter, cracked the case and found the brushes and commutator full of greasy brush dust. Cleaned it all up, re-assembled and installed it and it spun the engine great. Put the 18 year old battery back in place and been running it all winter with it, still cranking strong…

Ovrlnd1

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I will look at the voltage drop at the starter/solenoid as well as the contact and the cables/ground when I get home next weekend.
I appreciate all the responses. Awesome community to be a part of.

Thanks again

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck wouldnt start off the dash switches for the first 3 yrs i had it ! I kept a mechanics push button remote start hooked up till i finally found the terminal end on the small black wire coming from the auxilary solenoid on the frame to the little post closest to the block on top of the starter wasnt crimped very well so wasnt let the voltage thru to engage the starter !

Ovrlnd1

Sooooo, re-installed the starter and it works just fine. As I was originally removing the starter, I had noticed a broken wire. I figured I had done it as I was removing the starter. Well, that wire was the reason for the starter not working.

Extra work, cleaned up the starter, and learned more about my truck, so still a good experience.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks