• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 Captive Spring images

coachgeo

putting out a request for any pics, videos, drawings, specifications..... anything folk out there might have on the mount system of the M1079.

Done ton of search and there seems to be little out there on the springs specs Could have swore there was a tiny tiny bit of info and one pic in here of the captive springs but I can't find it.

Any help appreciated. Thanx.

PS- Also anyone know what years did they retrofit the chassis frame with strengthening braces .. and was that brace used from then on.... or was something else modified to make that brace no longer needed? (saw the frame braces in a thread in here sometime back... buyer got two identical braces and not a left right so was stumped on what to do next.

Last edited:

Gunny 0369

Marine Gunnery Sergeant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
putting out a request for any pics, videos, drawings, specifications..... anything folk out there might have on the mount system of the M1079.

Done ton of search and there seems to be little out there on the springs specs Could have swore there was a tiny tiny bit of info and one pic in here of the captive springs but I can't find it.

Any help appreciated. Thanx.

PS- Also anyone know what years did they retrofit the chassis frame with strengthening braces .. and was that brace used from then on.... or was something else modified to make that brace no longer needed? (saw the frame braces in a thread in here sometime back... buyer got two identical braces and not a left right so was stumped on what to do next.
4C72230C-064A-4567-A37F-1746A3D37902.pngCoach, saw this captured spring in Missouri.
( sorry) my way of bumping...
My 1086s MHC has the super heavy frame mod ...
hope your well

coachgeo

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Rgr that.

I've no current plans to pull mine but I may disconnect and lift it when I do my plumbing.

Or perhaps next time I run the air out to do something, I will knock one off.

I know that the spring specs come up all the time, so if I do I will have the local spring place spec it out for me.

Ronmar

Rgr that.

I've no current plans to pull mine but I may disconnect and lift it when I do my plumbing.

Or perhaps next time I run the air out to do something, I will knock one off.

I know that the spring specs come up all the time, so if I do I will have the local spring place spec it out for me.
I was bored once upon a time and I used some google-fu on the part and cage in the 24P for that spring. It got me to a component at the original manufacturer/provider that appeared to be the correct dimensions. I think they were based out of cali... Unfortunately I did not save that info or a link. But if I recall correctly the spring rate was approximately EDIT: musta accessed the wrong memory packet upstairs, see next post for search results and spring specs.

I was contemplating not using plain springs on mine, the rate and travel was all I was interested in... Another data point is how much compression/pre-load does the stock installation provide...

Last edited:

Ronmar

Wow, my memory must be getting bad... the FSCM takes you to century spring co(in Ca) and the part number 4115 gets you to the below listed part.
1003 LB/IN but only about 1.3” of travel(free length to solid length)... musta mixed this up with something else, or what some other method was going to provide my design:)

At any rate, this is where the part number lead me and it looks about right from what I have seen...

coachgeo

Wow, my memory must be getting bad... the FSCM takes you to century spring co(in Ca) and the part number 4115 gets you to the below listed part.
1003 LB/IN but only about 1.3” of travel(free length to solid length)... musta mixed this up with something else, or what some other method was going to provide my design:)

At any rate, this is where the part number lead me and it looks about right from what I have seen...

interesting.... 1.3 inch compressed then it starts pushing the chassis up on the compressed side. wonder about stretch side???

Would be interesting to see how quickly the solid mount tie at that spring/bolt between the box the chassis begins to pull the box off center with a rear axle droop. and/or rear axle stuff. Same for front axle and cross axle

Ronmar

interesting.... 1.3 inch compressed then it starts pushing the chassis up on the compressed side. wonder about stretch side???

Would be interesting to see how quickly the solid mount tie at that spring/bolt between the box the chassis begins to pull the box off center with a rear axle droop. and/or rear axle stuff. Same for front axle and cross axle
Or the box flexes/twists:)

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This isnt exactly info on spring rateings but go to govplanet this morning and put m1085 in the search box and 2 will appear and the left one is a 1996 S&S 1085 and look at the way they used what looks like the same springs but the captured design i havnt seen the way they did it looks like the way to go ! picture 14 and 61

Ronmar

This isnt exactly info on spring rateings but go to govplanet this morning and put m1085 in the search box and 2 will appear and the left one is a 1996 S&S 1085 and look at the way they used what looks like the same springs but the captured design i havnt seen the way they did it looks like the way to go ! picture 14 and 61
Thats basically how they did the 1079 with a bolt down thru the top and bottom brackets, thru the spring to a washer and nut. When the main frame twists down and away from the upper subframe, the subframe pulls up on the bolt and compresses the spring. on this one they put a guide plate outside welded to the top, the 1079 they used a pocket with guide plates on the bottom and the upper bracket sets down into the pocket to retain it laterally and longitudinally. The spring hangs down below the pocket. The ones you found look similar to ones I have seen on tank truck subframes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks