• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 government cost estimate? 2008 model.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm just trying to get an idea of what the original purchase price to the military was on the M1079... I'm buying a 2008 from Wehring at the beginning of October.

It looks like the van shelter was actually made by AAR? Would that have been purchased by BAE and installed on the chassis or purchased by the military directly and only installed by BAE?

I'm just shocked that the truck suffered minor cosmetic damage (apparently the washer fluid reservoir was bent) and was deemed surplus due to damages exceeding $1,500

Also it's an interesting talking point when people ask what the truck cost. Sure it sounds expensive till you consider what the government paid for it.

GD

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a 1998 that just sold in PA recently. Look at the pictures and there is a "cost" $$$ on picture #5. I'm sure the newer years cost more though.

Last edited:

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a 1998 that just sold in PA recently. Look at the pictures and there is a "cost" $$$ on picture #5. I'm sure the newer years cost more though.

Oh interesting! That's about $165,000 adjusted for 2008 Inflation. $210,000 in 2021 dollars. But that's only adjusted for inflation. Not considering the C7 engine (perhaps more expensive than the 2116?) with it's EPA certs, and this 2008 model also has the high-pinion rear axle (center axle from the 6x6) which for sure cost more than the 1998 unit.

For certain it's at least a $200,000 truck if you wanted one in 2021. The one I'm buying has less than 3k miles on it, and 750 of those was Wehring driving it from El-Paso to Houston. So essentially 2k miles of military usage and it appears to have never left the state of TX - having been built there and delivered to El-Paso and sporting jungle camo.

And it suffered minor cosmetic damage. Was deemed more than $1,500. So junk it...... I don't feel that bad about cheating on my taxes anymore. :confused:

GD

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some hard data from my personal adventures. There's roughly a $60K difference between the two models trucks but you must remember the sticker price is price of contract (truck, delivery, paperwork, etc) divided among the number of trucks purchased in that batch so price can vary.

$230,368.00 - 2006 M1079A1R (was mine)
1631849352337.png

$176,428.00 - 2006 M1078A1R

I'm just shocked that the truck suffered minor cosmetic damage (apparently the washer fluid reservoir was bent) and was deemed surplus due to damages exceeding $1,500
I know the truck your speaking of and the collection it came from. There's more to it than that but it doesn't really matter. These trucks (A1R model) are still the backbone of the fleet and and are being rebuilt with the LTAS cab by Oshkosh. Enjoy it and grease it!

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's some hard data from my personal adventures. There's roughly a $60K difference between the two models trucks but you must remember the sticker price is price of contract (truck, delivery, paperwork, etc) divided among the number of trucks purchased in that batch so price can vary.

$230,368.00 - 2006 M1079A1R (was mine)
View attachment 845459

$176,428.00 - 2006 M1078A1R

I know the truck your speaking of and the collection it came from. There's more to it than that but it doesn't really matter. These trucks (A1R model) are still the backbone of the fleet and and are being rebuilt with the LTAS cab by Oshkosh. Enjoy it and grease it!
Interesting. Was it just logistically unfeasible to send this truck in for updating? Im genuinely curious of what metrics they use to decide it's not cost effective. My tax dollars at work and all that.....

GD

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting. Was it just logistically unfeasible to send this truck in for updating? Im genuinely curious of what metrics they use to decide it's not cost effective. My tax dollars at work and all that.....

GD
My truck came from Korea. Best I could determine it was a soft cab (non-LTAS) and the fact they're only permitted so many units in country it may have been faster to replace than refit. Past that it's anyone's guess.

TacMac2012

The government literally SCRAPS---as in SHREDS brand new uparmored HMMWV's with less than 100 miles on them just so they can buy new ones. Trying to figure out why they get rid of a certain piece of perfectly good equipment isn't worth the effort. Just be glad you can buy the truck and that it wasn't scrapped.

Third From Texas

The government literally SCRAPS---as in SHREDS brand new uparmored HMMWV's with less than 100 miles on them just so they can buy new ones. Trying to figure out why they get rid of a certain piece of perfectly good equipment isn't worth the effort. Just be glad you can buy the truck and that it wasn't scrapped.

So true.

The head of the DLA said a few years back that if he had his way, ALL surplus vics would be scraped and none put to public auction.

I honestly expect to see that happen during this admin as political tensions rise with the coming elections.

If shtf in a civil unrest fashion the last thing you want to be driving is a mil vic.

Either the gov frags you for being an "insurgent" or someone else frags you thinking you're military.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So true.

The head of the DLA said a few years back that if he had his way, ALL surplus vics would be scraped and none put to public auction.

I honestly expect to see that happen during this admin as political tensions rise with the coming elections.

If shtf in a civil unrest fashion the last thing you want to be driving is a mil vic.

Either the gov frags you for being an "insurgent" or someone else frags you thinking you're military.
So sad - but truer words were never spoken.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks