• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079 Newbie in the Market!

Chism

Howdy FMTVers!

I'm new here....And, after much research and internal debate, I'm seriously searching for an M1079 as a base for a camper build.

I've read quite a bit on this forum and other sites. And I've owned two MVs and built a monster camper before. As a note, I'm handy, have basic tools, and can figure things out (albeit slowly). But, I'm not an MV expert, lifelong mechanic, or fabricator. So, as I search for a solid starting point truck, I have a few questions:

1. Can someone speak to the difference of shopping for an M1079A0 vs an M1079A1? I'm wondering about performance, drivability, parts compatibility (such as axle upgrades), and general model availability.

2. Is it advisable to rule out the A0 in favor of waiting for a good A1 to pop up? Or is an M1079A1 in very good shape a purple unicorn in this market? I'm currently in no hurry. My timeframe is from around 90 to 390 days from now. Patiently waiting will just mean it'll put less financial strain on me the longer I wait. I'm just uncertain of the practical differences between the two and how often these vehicles show up on the market.

3. Can someone confirm the van construction? Is it aluminum or steel? Are all 6 sides insulated? Are the windows single pane or double?

4. I'm somewhat aware of the various auction sites, and I understand buying from an individual is likely going to improve chances of purchasing a truck that's been "gone through". Does anyone know of any other specific places to shop for an M1079? Do you know someone who may be selling one?

That's all I have for now. Thank you in advance for your input!

Chism

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. I would do a search on past auction results for M1079 and M1079A1 on Govplanet. They have sold 90% of the FMTVs and you will get an idea what is out there and the astronomical prices the vans bring.

ramdough

Welcome. I would do a search on past auction results for M1079 and M1079A1 on Govplanet. They have sold 90% of the FMTVs and you will get an idea what is out there and the astronomical prices the vans bring.
Are you saying at almost all of the FMTV's are gone? Or, are you referring to a specific series?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying at almost all of the FMTV's are gone? Or, are you referring to a specific series?

Not saying that. Looking at the auction results, GP has sold 23 M1079s and 2 M1079A1s as of this date. That plus a few that GL sold is it other than a handful sold on GSA. That is all that is out there to pick from. Uncle probably bought 1000's of these and all will eventually be sold.

Last edited:

ramdough

Not saying that. Looking at the auction results, GP has sold 23 M1079s and 2 M1079A1s as of this date. That plus a few that GL sold is it other than a handful sold on GSA. That is all that is out there to pick from. Uncle probably bought 1000's of these and all will eventually be sold.
You had me freaked out for a bit. It felt like I woke up and missed a few decades of GP auctions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks