• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1079a1 start issue

Union5

The other day I started up my m1079a1 and the air brake alarm wouldn't go off. All the dash light were blinking. And no air pressure showed in either tank. I turned off the truck released all the air from the tanks and tried to start it again. Now the ignition switch flips Dash's lights for a second then goes dead. When you press the button all the lights go on it tries to turn over then stops and the dash goes dead. Any ideas?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
What year truck? Are your batts fully charged and battery connections clean and tight? That truck does not like low voltage. On the right side of the batt box do you have cutoff solenoids?

Union5

It's a 3126. Batteries are the originals from 07 I imagine truck had 98 miles on it. They are hawkers

Union5

Batteries are 2015 dated. I don't think it's a voltage issue. After the switch is flipped it doesn't seem like the compressor is doing anything. The ctis is blinking hwy but no activation of the compressor. The alarm for the low brake air pressure does not go off and no dash lights remain lit. The trans boots up and shows it's in neutral but when you go to start it does a half turn all the dash lights. And then nothing. Would a ctis issue cause a fail safe so it doesn't start?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Sounds like a power issue. Are you sure your batts are fully charged. Do you have the green pcb power panel or the 4 breaker boxes?

Union5

So after the initial flip of the ignition switch and the dash lights going out. The lamp test does nothing. And no alarm for low air pressure.

snowtrac nome

still sounds like a bad battery or 2 get a multi meter each battery should be over 12 volts. wouldn't hurt to take them into a store like auto zone who will test the batterys for you

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are 3126 trucks made in 2007. Could be a bad 24v power relay. The inside of the panel has a diagram. You can swap it out for a less important relay. But I still think it's bad or weak batts. How often is it driven? 3126 should be green circuit board panel. There are power wires coming up that bolt to the board. Grounds on those are minimal at best.

Union5

We have a m998 too. So if I hook up the running m998 to the m1079a1 through the slave port it's should start normally if it's batteries right?

Davisonsite

Yes it should, I would let it charge for about 10 -15 minutes . It sounds like the Batts are low on AMPS not voltage. Amps take time to build. I have had to charge trucks for over an hour when the Batts were drained way down, it takes only 15 mike of the volts to recover but a hour for the Amps to reach a point to start a truck.

Union5

Yes it should, I would let it charge for about 10 -15 minutes . It sounds like the Batts are low on AMPS not voltage. Amps take time to build. I have had to charge trucks for over an hour when the Batts were drained way down, it takes only 15 mike of the volts to recover but a hour for the Amps to reach a point to start a truck.
Ok, did not have a ton of time this morning but slaved to the m998 let it run at high idle for 10 min. M1079a1 started right up. but the ABS light stayed on. Drove the truck around a little braking seemed fine. did i just not charge the batteries up enough and still had an issue on start up?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Hawkers need a long deep charge. No trickle charging for them. If you dont have a big heavy duty 24v charger then take them out and charge individually. Minimum 15a charge for 24 hours each. Then put them back in the truck and make sure the alternator/charging system is working.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AGM batteries that are badly discharged or sulfated will need weeks of pounding by an AGM charger. Then they will be good as new. Several threads on this.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks