• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m108 data plates

mikey

Anyone? Anyone have a scrap M108? Any sites to have them made? Any photos of the data on them?

Google, eBay, TNJ, Erik's, Saturn are all no help.

thx

Mikey

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry for the long overdue reply.

Here are several pictures with some explanation. I should be able improve the detail or definition if required. These are my own personal plates, or property of others where indicated.

First, Here are the operator controls plates:

From TM 9-8023-5 ORDNANCE MAINTENANCE BODY AND AUXILIARY EQUIPMENT 2 1/2 TON 6x6 CRANE TRUCK M108
Here is the operator panel. I added the red numbers to correspond to the individual plates below:
Operator Controls Labeled.jpg

#1 - I can't find this one (I think this is "After Fording" info)

Warning - Deep Water Fording.jpg

Oil, Hydraulic System.jpg

#4 (Note: the individual lever plates are inadvertently out of order in this photo)
Operator Control Valve  Plates.jpg

#5 (I started the restoration process on this one, see following messages for more explanation)
Safe Load Chart.jpg

Operation Data.jpg

Sub-Zero Op Instr.jpg

These are my own plates. They are very weathered. They are the early embossed plates (meaning that the letters are raised, not just a perfectly flat, screen printed/photo-anodized/ laser etched type plate.

Last edited:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are samples of the Weight and Dimension Specific Plate that is located inside the cab on the passenger side of dash.

The first one is a NOS original M108 plate for Studebaker. I got this one last summer at the MVPA convention in Louisville, KY from the Memphis Equipment Co. booth. Super nice guys. They had a plastic tote box full of misc plates. I dug through it and found this one by itself. After further digging, I found many sealed, brown-paper wrapped packs of 10 each of this exact plate. I almost bought the 10 pack just for historical significance. I think it would have be $10. I should haveaua.
M108 Studebaker Original NOS Weight and Dim.jpg

This next one is a Studebaker Reproduction Plate M108A2 that I had made. If you look closely, it is all original except that it denotes M108A2 ( that's right -A2 !) To my knowledge, (and others on this site) there was never a Multi-Fuel version of the M108 factory produced. It is conceivable and likely that some were repowered while in military service, but I don't have first hand knowledge of this happening. Just wanted to have a little fun and make a hypothetical M-series number as others have done to their modified trucks. This one was made for a Studebaker truck.
M108A2 Studebaker Reproduction Weight and Dim.jpg

Here is another reproduction Plate that I had made. It is also M108A2. This version was made for a REO Motors truck. I hand stamped the serial number on one of these and installed on my truck. (mine was repowered to M/F by previous owner)
M108A2 REO Motors Reproduction Weight and Dim.jpg

Mikey, Is your M108 still a gas powered truck, or has it been Multi-fuel retro-fitted? I have an extra of the reproduction M108A2s plate if you would like. My compliments. Let me know.

The reproduction plates shown above were made by www.Naptags.com back in April 2011. I am super happy with them and would buy again. I sent them a digital picture that I had photoshopped, and they took it from there.

I want to stop and send out a big thank you to Dennis (Stretch) and Kenny (Recovry4x4) for all of the help they provided with M108 knowledge and pictures. Much of knowledge in this thread started with them. Thanks Fellas !!

Last edited:

Junkyard Wars Crusher

12B20
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some misc body plates:

This picture is courtesy of Stretch. This is the Mico Lock switch plate. The mico lock sets a hydraulic lock on the service brakes to be utilized when the crane is in operation. Mine is missing, and someday I will look to make a reproduction.

microlock_tag.jpg

This plate is the serial number plate for the Austin-Western Crane Body. It is mounted to the shipper support opposite side of the operator controls .
Crane Boom Serial Number Plate.jpg

This tag is mounted to the boom mounted gearbox which drives the hoist cable drum.
Lubricant, Drum Case.jpg

This tag is mounted to the top of the oil reservoir. This is my original tag that I attempted to restore. It was in faded, weathered condition like many of the other tags shown. I applied black spray paint and then tediously removed the paint from the letters using a scrapper edge and cotton swabs soaked with paint thinner. I really like the vintage look of the embossed tags like this one. However, to restore each will require a painstaking effort. I may elect to have these reproduced as a photo-anodized version to install on the truck, and keep the embossed originals in a box.
Oil Level Instructions.jpg

Last edited:

mikey

Jeff,

Thank you. I'm so glad I started this thread. I was getting frustrated searching here, Google, eBay etc...

I have a 54 REO M108A2 (MF)... I'll PM you the SN this weekend.

My thanks also go out to Kenny and for Dennis for helping you, which ultimately helps me. It's nice to know some other M108 owners!

Mikey

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks