• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 crank no start, looking for a Mechanic to help me get it started

Guerrillaco

Got another question, the truck is running again however when i am in drive it starts off in 2nd gear. I had the ecu reprogramed and thought that was the problem (did not fix anything). The programmer stated that the computer had a code pointing to the transmission temp sensor. I called midwest to see if they would have the sensor. He stated that i should clear the codes and see if that helps ( i have not idea how to do that without a scanner) Need help on that one. Midwest also stated that i should clean the TCM and look for loose grounds. Any direction?

Ronmar

Starting in 2nd is normal. 1st is really really low...

Press amd hold the up and down arrows for 10.seconds. it will beep at 3 seconds indocating it cleared active codes, and again at 10 seconds indicating all codes cleared

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Correct. To expand on that - 1st gear has to be manually selected and is only available in "MODE" where the center diff is locked in, etc. These trucks are 6 speeds in normal on-road operation starting in 2nd gear.
Nope. 1st must be manually selected-but “mode” is not required.

Ronmar

Yea you can shift into first anytime. Its kind if annoying when wheeling. I would like the programming to start in first when in mode so it would go from R to D1 and back with one push as those ratios are closer together. I have heard that when you select first in normal configuration(not mode), it will also lockup the center differential like when in mode, but I have found no info to support that claim And havn't confirmed it my self(yet:)).

As General mentioned 2-7 are the normal sequence. Those are the 6 ratios delivered by the 3000 series core transmission X the fixed 1.2:1 transfer case gearing.

GR RATIO CLUTCH
1st 6.93:1 C3-C6
2nd 4.18:1 C1-C5
3rd 2.24:1 C1-C4 + LU
4th 1.69:1 C1-C3 + LU
5th 1.20:1 C1-C2 + LU
6th 0.90:1 C2-C3 + LU
7th 0.78:1 C2-C4 + LU
R —5.00:1 C3-C5

We get our low first gear from the C6 clutch located in the top of the transfer case, but it does its magic inside the core transmission. A planetary has 3 gears, sun, planets and ring. To get a ratio, you brake/lock one, you spin one and the output is on the 3rd. The transfer case allowed them to put a hollow shaft on the transmission output to the top gear in the transfer case. On the normal 3060 transmission, the driveshaft yoke would have gone there.

Thru that hollow shaft they ran another shaft that allows that C6 clutch to brake the sun gear buried in the middle of the last planetary set, allowing an additional ratio out of the main gearbox.

coachgeo

Got another question, the truck is running again however when i am in drive it starts off in 2nd gear. I had the ecu reprogramed and thought that was the problem (did not fix anything). The programmer stated that the computer had a code pointing to the transmission temp sensor. I called midwest to see if they would have the sensor. He stated that i should clear the codes and see if that helps ( i have not idea how to do that without a scanner) Need help on that one. Midwest also stated that i should clean the TCM and look for loose grounds. Any direction?
yup like others said.... Allison sorta screwed up and gave numbers to things that dont fit conventional thinking. Think of it more this way.:

allison is a 6speed trans with an additional granny gear. Like usual trucks with Granny Gear's HAVE TO BE MANUALLY accessed. For the FMTV line of trucks.. you do that by a manual down shift with keypad to the granny gear that they named FIRST. All other gears follow in numerical order. Transmission will shift thru 2nd-7th automatically when in normal mode (AWD mode). In 4wd Mode it only allows access of 1st-5th

Guerrillaco

Starting in 2nd is normal. 1st is really really low...

Press amd hold the up and down arrows for 10.seconds. it will beep at 3 seconds indocating it cleared active codes, and again at 10 seconds indicating all codes cleared
Thanks for the knowledge i am still learning about the trucks overall operation I will need to locate a manual.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the knowledge i am still learning about the trucks overall operation I will need to locate a manual.
The TM's (Technical Manuals) are free downloads here on the site.
You posted on a M1083 thread. If that is the case, link is below.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks