• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 crank no start, looking for a Mechanic to help me get it started

Guerrillaco

so the mechanic pretty much took everything apart here and notice the shared bolts off the flywheel they feel that fixing this will get the truck started and it's worth a shot what do you guys think and thank you so much for all the help this has been a fun nightmare.

INFChief

so the mechanic pretty much took everything apart here and notice the shared bolts off the flywheel they feel that fixing this will get the truck started and it's worth a shot what do you guys think and thank you so much for all the help this has been a fun nightmare.
The biggest question now is; “what caused those bolts to shear off”?

Have you flat towed the truck with the brakes cages? I’m wondering if there’s a problem in the transmission or drive train that caused this? Did some knucklehead try to recover this vehicle and cause this damage through improper procedure?

Guerrillaco

Have you flat towed the truck with the brakes cages? I’m wondering if there’s a problem in the transmission or drive train that caused this? Did some knucklehead try to recover this vehicle and cause this damage through improper procedure?
all those questions are valid and you know what I really do not know as I do not know the history on this vehicle when it was told here it came on a pretty large flatbed but the problem is it came to my Construction company and it was offloaded without me even seeing it. I'm just crossing my fingers that it can be fixed without the cost going up too much I really need this vehicle for my farm in Jamaica.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Been a common problem for years.

They were not torqued properly and no loctite was used. The trucks have vibrations anyway due to the hubs and driveshaft problems.

Most automatic transmission trucks with vibrations they tend to walk back the bellhousing bolts causing the bellhousing to crack or fall off the engine.

INFChief

all those questions are valid and you know what I really do not know as I do not know the history on this vehicle when it was told here it came on a pretty large flatbed but the problem is it came to my Construction company and it was offloaded without me even seeing it. I'm just crossing my fingers that it can be fixed without the cost going up too much I really need this vehicle for my farm in Jamaica.
Once you get those old bolts out make sure the inside diameter & threads were not compromised.

INFChief

Been a common problem for years.

They were not torqued properly and no loctite was used. The trucks have vibrations anyway due to the hubs and driveshaft problems.

Most automatic transmission trucks with vibrations they tend to walk back the bellhousing bolts causing the bellhousing to crack or fall off the engine.
I’m curious, if you know, Once loose, what causes all the bolts to shear at the same time? Initial torque on start up? Sudden acceleration? I can’t imagine that these bolts will all back out, or loosen, to a certain point and then shear. Interesting.

coachgeo

Read thru this and other FMTV discussion groups/forums to get ideas on anything else that can be affected by the shake rattle and roll this truck was doing prior to shredding those bolts. Then go thru your truck with fine tooth comb to evaluate each to see if you need to take care of other things.

example.... get your driveshafts balanced. this maaaaayyyy be in part what started this whole mess from added vibrations from something amiss in your driveline. (out of phase? very unbalanced? frozen u joint? etc)

Ronmar

I got some questions for the team where can I locate two door windows and the locking mechanisms for each door? I've been looking on eBay like crazy but I'm unable to find much.
Omni glass and paint in oshkosh WI. for the door glass.

Good luck with latch hardware. I went with trimark 2stage latches from a hotrod supply house and toyota tacoma/4runner handles…

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks