• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 Differential Lock Relay

Oski1042

So I just replaced the fan clutch solenoid on my M1083 truck. Unlike the M1078 it actually two solenoids ... one for the fan clutch and one for something called the "differential lock relay". Unfortunately I can not seem to find a description of exactly what it does beyond what it is called. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

yes in mode that air valve switches and activates the air locker that locks the middle axle and rear axle to be locked together. (aka there is a differential sitting sideways between the pair of rear axes..... this locker is in that differential.. NOT in the axle's differentials. Neither of the pair of rear axles have a locker)

coachgeo

yes in mode that air valve switches and activates the air locker that locks the middle axle and rear axle to be locked together. (aka there is a differential sitting sideways between the pair of rear axes..... this locker is in that differential.. NOT in the axle's differentials. Neither of the pair of rear axles have a locker)
btw- @Ronmar posted a valve you could use for this and/or for replacing the air valve to switch the engine cooling fan.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
We call them an axle interlock valve. It uses just uses power to engage it. I would delete it and use a standard flipper valve like every other semi uses. This way you can engage it even when not in low range.

You should he running with the front tandem interlock anytime it's slick. It doesn't hurt it even when running on dry pavement.

Oski1042

You guys always amaze me with your wealth of knowledge! Thank you.

I did end up running the truck and listening for what happens when the mode button is engaged. About 5 seconds after disengaging the "Mode" button there is a purge of air.

Also in case some one with such a dual solenoid is wondering .... the rear valve is for the fan clutch - forward one is the differential.

Thanks again you guys!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And where might i find these solenoids on the truck ? Behind the passenger kick panel ? I dont remember seeing anything like this except behind the kick panel .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks