• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 Dimensions request..... pretty please!?!?

Recce01

Hi guys,
I have been reading this forum non-stop lately, and I am floored at the amount of information that is available here. Thank you everyone for posting up such helpful intel, it really helps perspective owners know what they are getting into. With that said, I will admit that I lost my first opportunity to own one of these amazing trucks last week. I didn't have it in me to go over what I had budgeted for purchase. Still recovering from that experience lol. With that said, I am not letting that stop me from charging forward. I have a request if possible... is there any way someone who owns an M1083 could throw a tape measure at it for a few minutes? My project requires some halfway accurate dimensions I haven't been able to find on the intrawebs. That may be due to lack of search prowess, so feel free to verbally abuse me after a posted link :) I am after 3 specific dimensions for now:

1. Distance from main (Lower) frame rail to top of cab roof

2. Distance from back of cab to rearmost end of lower main frame rail

3. Distance from ground to top of main lower frame rail.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

click on photo for request image

36792632403_f0b85f8d4d_c.jpg

Rebuilder

This should be pretty close. I scaled it up based on the known dimensions and then measured the unknown. Should be enough to get you started anyway.
M1083.jpg

Recce01

This should be pretty close. I scaled it up based on the known dimensions and then measured the unknown. Should be enough to get you started anyway.
View attachment 702147
Thank you for taking the time to do this!!!! I guess, truth be told, I was being lazy knowing that the tires are spec'd at 46.5"....

I know this doesn't exactly answer your questions, but gives some good info nonetheless. I can get out the tape measure when I get home later this week if no one answers before.

http://www.wenzlau.com/documents/M1083A1.pdf
I would be stoked to get some actual measurements from you, though I'd venture that Rebuilder is pretty **** close! I have been following your thread, cool you use your truck for community service!

I have some wild dream where I sell off all my "crap", rent my home out and hit the road with my wife. I can work from the road, so it seems like it is doable. Is it crazy....... yes... but it is giving me purpose at the moment, so I am considering it.

The last project I actually documented: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/77201-98-Jeep-ZJ-quot-SHTFV-quot

This is a huge ask of my skillset, and I imagine will be called foolish that more than a few, however I want to do it. I tried to land an M1085 as the frame length was on point for a 22' box. I shortened the length to 21' to try and use an M1083 instead (frame extended). The M1085 is very rare, as I have only seen 2 sold, and I lost trying to get the second one :(

Here is some of my inspiration:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vh_d31rWt2o?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Their box is 20.5' long, according to him. Based on what I know, they extended the frame to accommodate the extra length. I am not a fan of this guy saying he basically invented the expedition vehicle, but I do love what he has been able to do.

Recce01

well, I just posted 2 responses(that don't seem to exist???) , I guess you have to let a moderator approve your posts? Mods, please purge accordingly. Thanks for the responses guys!

coachgeo

well, I just posted 2 responses(that don't seem to exist???) , I guess you have to let a moderator approve your posts? Mods, please purge accordingly. Thanks for the responses guys!
if you had links or maybe pics in your post..... then yup don't think they will show up when your a newbie with only two post. It is spammer prevention method. Rules say you have to have commented productive info 5? maybe 10? times before you can add links (maybe pics too??). Not sure the exact number

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And your location needs correcting Earth is a very large place narrow it down a bit lol.

Recce01

if you had links or maybe pics in your post..... then yup don't think they will show up when your a newbie with only two post. It is spammer prevention method. Rules say you have to have commented productive info 5? maybe 10? times before you can add links (maybe pics too??). Not sure the exact number
ahh, I see.

And your location needs correcting Earth is a very large place narrow it down a bit lol.
I just read the entire rules. I'll change my location. Thank you for the help guys!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks