• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 Mechanics CA

Bormas96

Hi all,

I recently won an auction for an M1083 in Hi. After doing lots of research and receiving lots of quotes on getting it shipped to me. I have come to the conclusion that my cheapest option will be to get it shipped to the mainland and then drive it back myself.
2433718_6002_159_0001.jpg

My question is, who in southern California (near Los Angeles Port), works on these so as to get it road worthy enough for a near 3,000 mile trip?
Also any advice for such a trip would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

AllenF

Curious to know who you are using to ship and the cost. I am in the same boat as you Pun intended. Does it run? if not this could be a big upfront cost. It might be cheaper to trailer it to where you are depending on how far that is.

coachgeo

FWIW. I like Bormas idea... if your going to spend over a thousand dollars to have it hauled... why not spend that 1,000 on getting it road ready

AllenF

Ya I hear you, but you know $1000 doesn't go all that far. especially when you are using someone who actually knows what they are doing. $1000 = $500 labor and $500 parts. not to mention many items are not instantly available. all the while it is sitting somewhere and not for free either. Then there is the inevitable tire blow outs. the rubber on these things is super sketchy. Each tire is $400+ Not counting shipping time lost. It adds up faster than just shipping it. If he is close to L.A he can move it for under $1000. If it is local I know a guy and he is reasonable. At least worth a call to see his options.

Bormas96

According to the videos on GP and the auction data it runs and moves. The windshield is cracked and I don't know of any other major issues.
I got a quote from Matson for $4634. But I have to arrange transport for the truck to the port; so that will be an added cost. Though the GP local rep. did give me the name of a local trucking company they work with.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Having bought and moved many units from Hawaii...have it hauled home. If this is a true Hawaii stationed truck its been sitting a long time and will need a fair amount of work to make a 3000 mile trip. With diesel prices low right now you can save yourself a lot of headache and just get it home safe for a fair price.

As for using Maston check with Pasha too for a comparative quote. Both companies require that the truck starts, runs, and stops...and does not leak. If it leaks they will decline it at port and you will be responsible for clean up fees fyi.

If you need assistance getting it repaired on the island before it ships give me a shout. I also have proven good haulers on island and stateside.

ramdough

Make sure you have you get lots of good pictures of the truck before it is loaded on the boat and before it is loaded on the truck. That way you know if/when it was damaged if something goes wrong. Then you can prove who is a fault when you claim insurance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bormas96

Having bought and moved many units from Hawaii...have it hauled home. If this is a true Hawaii stationed truck its been sitting a long time and will need a fair amount of work to make a 3000 mile trip. With diesel prices low right now you can save yourself a lot of headache and just get it home safe for a fair price.

As for using Maston check with Pasha too for a comparative quote. Both companies require that the truck starts, runs, and stops...and does not leak. If it leaks they will decline it at port and you will be responsible for clean up fees fyi.

If you need assistance getting it repaired on the island before it ships give me a shout. I also have proven good haulers on island and stateside.
It has a cracked windshield so I would need that repaired before it leaves the island. Could you recommend a good mechanic/service there?

I live in Northern New York an hour north of Ft. Drum. The cost to have it shipped to me is in the $10K range (from CA). Full Door-to-Door shipping is up in the 13-14.5k range. Because of this I would be willing to spend the money having it made trip worthy so as to save possible a few thousand dollars by having it fixed on Hawaii or in California.

ramdough

It has a cracked windshield so I would need that repaired before it leaves the island. Could you recommend a good mechanic/service there?

I live in Northern New York an hour north of Ft. Drum. The cost to have it shipped to me is in the $10K range (from CA). Full Door-to-Door shipping is up in the 13-14.5k range. Because of this I would be willing to spend the money having it made trip worthy so as to save possible a few thousand dollars by having it fixed on Hawaii or in California.
Will (Superman) sells trucks in CT, you might have looked there as well.

Can’t blame you to want to drive it home at that price. There are people on here smarter than me that can tell you how to get home. I think you definitely need someone reputable to make sure it can make it before you try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

you know.... thinking little outside the box... but not to far out.... in Cali... the right guy you might need and didn't know it is Scott at Expedition Imports. He has had at least one FMTV if recall right... but he will also have all the connections you could ever need/want including port entry knowledge there in Calif.

Reworked LMTV

Too many variables. You don't need a statistics class to figure this one out.
A blown tire, plugged fuel filter, air leak in fuel line, a belt, a missing bolt, stuck brakes, air leak, blown hose, fan that explodes and takes out the radiator and so on.....
Have it hauled.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks