• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1083 panel voltage issue/no start

Grimbo

The 12v and 24v batteries have good voltage when measured at the batteries. The panel voltmeter has been dropping steadily and now shows less than 20v. Engine will not crank, only clicks. Checked all fuses, swapped relays etc, all good. Reading 24v and 12v on main points in electrical distribution panel. Not seeing any low voltages on relay power supply, both 12 and 24v. I redid all the battery cables/posts to eliminate on issues that side. When master switch is on, cab fan etc all blow strong(ie full voltage). Sometimes the engine will crank and it starts straightaway, so 12v side is good, but the 24v start circuit is where I think I'm having issues but for the life of me cant find it. Checked for loose connections behind panels etc. When the engine does run the voltmeter doesn't come up. Last time I checked alternator was charging on 12 and 24. Ran a ground jumper cable from battery neg to frame near engine, no change. I'm not an electrician so this is not basic for me. Anyone have any direct pointers to look at? Thanks

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The 12v and 24v batteries have good voltage when measured at the batteries. The panel voltmeter has been dropping steadily and now shows less than 20v. Engine will not crank, only clicks. Checked all fuses, swapped relays etc, all good. Reading 24v and 12v on main points in electrical distribution panel. Not seeing any low voltages on relay power supply, both 12 and 24v. I redid all the battery cables/posts to eliminate on issues that side. When master switch is on, cab fan etc all blow strong(ie full voltage). Sometimes the engine will crank and it starts straightaway, so 12v side is good, but the 24v start circuit is where I think I'm having issues but for the life of me cant find it. Checked for loose connections behind panels etc. When the engine does run the voltmeter doesn't come up. Last time I checked alternator was charging on 12 and 24. Ran a ground jumper cable from battery neg to frame near engine, no change. I'm not an electrician so this is not basic for me. Anyone have any direct pointers to look at? Thanks
Outside rear battery is on the 12v part of the connection. Drop a charger on that one battery (don't bother disconnecting everything else) and cook it for a few hours and that D@$# infernal clicking should go away. These trucks are "over batteried" and they just don't get a good charge with the low amp (factory) alternator. There are dozens of threads here about that problem in particular. You would be much better off with a two battery system. Threads about how to do that are here as well.

If my M1088 had that problem until I finally made the 4 to 2 swap.
My truck is much happier running about once a week for about an hour too.
Keeping a trickle charger on the batteries would also help.

Grimbo

Outside rear battery is on the 12v part of the connection. Drop a charger on that one battery (don't bother disconnecting everything else) and cook it for a few hours and that D@$# infernal clicking should go away. These trucks are "over batteried" and they just don't get a good charge with the low amp (factory) alternator. There are dozens of threads here about that problem in particular. You would be much better off with a two battery system. Threads about how to do that are here as well.

If my M1088 had that problem until I finally made the 4 to 2 swap.
My truck is much happier running about once a week for about an hour too.
Keeping a trickle charger on the batteries would also help.

Ok, I put the charger on for overnight. With the charger on the batts I measured the V on the batts and on the x3 studs on DB panel, and have a drop of 2V on the 12v and 24V studs compared to the battery V. With the charger on, the panel Voltmeter still reads sub 20V. I will recheck in the morning.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks