• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1084A1 M1084 M977 MHC Grove Material Handling Crane Troubleshooting Problems

GTUnit

Hello! New 2000 M1084A1 owner. I really need some help getting my Crane working.
The Swing rotates about 3 degrees in either direction and then appears to bind. Not sure if there are hard stops inside somewhere but I did not see any.
I see in TM 9-2320-279-34-3 that there is a Swing Brake Valve but not sure how this functions.

I've been looking through the MTV and M997 TMs and I cant find anything on troubleshooting this or that would point me in the right direction.

My boom lockout is active as well for some reason but disconnecting the lockout solenoid bypasses that issue for now. I really need the swing working.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello! New 2000 M1084A1 owner. I really need some help getting my Crane working.
The Swing rotates about 3 degrees in either direction and then appears to bind. Not sure if there are hard stops inside somewhere but I did not see any.
I see in TM 9-2320-279-34-3 that there is a Swing Brake Valve but not sure how this functions.

I've been looking through the MTV and M997 TMs and I cant find anything on troubleshooting this or that would point me in the right direction.

My boom lockout is active as well for some reason but disconnecting the lockout solenoid bypasses that issue for now. I really need the swing working.
It's a Grove Crane.
There is some information, but it isn't very well documented and the fine folks @ Grove aren't very fine at all in my opinion. They aren't willing to sell you a proper manual either. There are no locks that would be stopping you at 3 degrees.

GTUnit

I did some reading on various industrial boards related to Grove cranes and it seems that the Swing Brake is not fully disengaging.
Circuit is probably not building enough pressure to release the brake. Now I just need to figure out what is leaking where.

BRob18E

There is a pull pin at the rear. It's a steel pin that drops in and prevents it from turning. My guess is it would allow 3 degrees if you were applying pressure from both ways. Let me know if that is what it was. Don't feel bad if that's it, it took me a moment to find it as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There is a pull pin at the rear. It's a steel pin that drops in and prevents it from turning. My guess is it would allow 3 degrees if you were applying pressure from both ways. Let me know if that is what it was. Don't feel bad if that's it, it took me a moment to find it as well.
How about a picture?

My M1089 has no pin - OR - there was never a pin in a hole on the turntable on my vehicle. The M1084 is by the same manufacturer, so logic says if one is "pinned" the other would be too.

GTUnit

I will take another look. I looked for pins and locks before I started working on it. In this case highly unlikely it is a pin.
I got the crane to swing 60 degrees but it took several tries like it was binding up or something was holding it. The movement was slow and inconsistent.
I couldnt get it to return fully either, most of the way, did the rest with the hand pump. Im guessing the Brake or check valve or other valving is messed up.

The Crane lockouts were also active. I should probably clear that first. I just pulled the lockout solenoid plugs to disable the axis I needed for testing.

GTUnit

There is an Alarm light on the Boom Overload Box. The following is info I learned from my research on this. The name for the load overload system used to be PAT and is currently LMI.

For the past three decades PAT Systems have been installed in cranes around the world. Through a series of acquisitions the Pietsch Automatisierungs Technologie (P.A.T.) group is now under the Hirschmann and Belden company umbrella. The most famous of the PAT systems, the PAT DS350 is still operational in many cranes today; however is currently being replaced by the Hirschmann Maestro LMI system.

LMI: Load Moment Indicator

The Grove M977 crane on M1084 trucks uses the Hirschmann DS50 LMI. Specifically the DS50 A2.

The LMI is mounted on the side on the boom in a large steel enclosure 18"x 12"

The DS50 LMI Troubleshooting Manual is available in several places via a google search. One place i downloaded it from was

DS 50 Overload Warning System Troubleshooting Manual Level 1 (Basics)

DS 50 Overload Warning System Troubleshooting Manual Level 2 (Using Test Equipment)
PAT DS 50 TROUBLESHOOTING MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib

DS 50 Overload Warning System Troubleshooting Manual Level 3 (Calibration)
https://manualzz.com/doc/8395855/pat-hirschmann-ds50--ds-50- maintenance-troubleshooting--...

935BF664-7366-4536-B1D1-A6E1D0EB2723.jpeg

20E64449-5B47-4E13-A749-E30295A9981B.jpeg

Last edited:

GTUnit

My LMI shows an error code of E57. DS50 LMI manual error description:
067D8ACE-61BF-4039-BD0B-303663CA5C38.jpeg

I dont see the EEPROM on the main board and dont see a place where it would mount. Not sure if its missing or just memory wiped. It either case i still dont see it on the DS50 main board.

The DS50 manual I found shows a graphic of the main board and eeprom but the main board of DS50 A2 I have l looks different then the representations in the manual.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My LMI shows an error code of E57. DS50 LMI manual error description:
View attachment 876519

I dont see the EEPROM on the main board and dont see a place where it would mount. Not sure if its missing or just memory wiped. It either case i still dont see it on the DS50 main board.

The DS50 manual I found shows a graphic of the main board and eeprom but the main board of DS50 A2 I have l looks different then the representations in the manual.
The DB9 connection inside the box might be a way to program the eeprom rather than having to remove it? Or maybe to update whatever software runs the tilt (PAT) box maybe? I don't see an eeprom on the board pictures above. Maybe it is on the back side of the board?

GTUnit

The DB9 connection inside the box might be a way to program the eeprom rather than having to remove it? Or maybe to update whatever software runs the tilt (PAT) box maybe? I don't see an eeprom on the board pictures above. Maybe it is on the back side of the board?
Its possible. Ill check. One manual details a EEPROM programming unit with a socket. Usually EEPROMS get pulled out and inserted into a EEPROM programmer but that was really old school tech. Maybe this updated board doesnt have a eeprom and the fault code was never updated. Its memory was just wiped. I need to find a Grove tech that can answer this in 2min.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks