• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 shifts from 2nd and 3rd

Givinup

Hey all,

I hope you are doing well. A recent post on a m1078 tranny got me thinking. Was just curious how hard of a shift from 2nd to 3rd and out to 4th is. Mine takes quite a bit of throttle to get up and going and is quite a big shift. That being said I wouldn't expect it to be overly smooth, based that it is expected to be towing heavy loads.

It has been difficult not to spring the throttle on and off some based on the jitterness of the tranny until getting up to 12-15mph, then it settles.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

aleigh

I've got a 1078 but same transmission no? Mine is smooth when warm through all gears. 1->2 and 2->3 thuds a little when it's cold but I would not say it is jarring, but you notice it for sure. Warms up after a few minutes regardless of outside temp. Always seems to shift at the right times. When warm, it's smooth enough I can leave a cup of coffee sitting on the dash.

coachgeo

.... curious how hard of a shift from 2nd to 3rd and out to 4th is. Mine takes quite a bit of throttle to get up and going and is quite a big shift. That being said I wouldn't expect it to be overly smooth...Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Still got motor oil in tranny or have you followed the thread in here on how to switch to the proper ATF? Going to ATF helps alot.

Givinup

Still got motor oil in tranny or have you followed the thread in here on how to switch to the proper ATF? Going to ATF helps alot.
Should still be motor oil. I haven't read the threads on switching to ATF. Is the only reason the military didn't do it was for simplicity of supply chain with motor oil?

Givinup

Thank you all for the suggestions. I let the tranny warm up quite a while on a long slow drive (longest yet since I've had the truck) and then acceleratedfrom idle several times. Much smoother shifts, I imagine it was cool oil previously.

I'll make the switch to atf at some point before the end of my build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks