• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088 slow rebuild in TN-Drastically improving the lights on the cheap

Reworked LMTV

I guess I should organize my rebuild / build info, for the sake of ease of cataloging / searching.

Here is my first contribution to this thread:

Inexpensive driving light improvement-I used Novus System plastic polish. Used for airplanes. Good stuff. I use it for detailing my cars too. For the top cab lights I had to use some 800 grit wet sandpaper, being that the oxidation was so severe. I will coat all of these lights with Krylon Clear Coat 2 after cleaning with ETOH. This will REALLY make them shine.

Attachments

Last edited:

coachgeo

According to others; sealing the cab light housing to keep rain etc. from getting behind them is important. Might as well do that while the light is off getting polished. Good idea on the Clear Coat.

Reworked LMTV

According to others; sealing the cab light housing to keep rain etc. from getting behind them is important. Might as well do that while the light is off getting polished. Good idea on the Clear Coat.
I did not remove the lights to do this. Did they replace the gaskets or use black silicone?

coachgeo

I did not remove the lights to do this. Did they replace the gaskets or use black silicone?
Honestly don't recall but I would say check out similar conversations on attaching lights, sealing windows and or racks etc.over at Expedition Portal. Lots of discussion there on sealing such things. Old tried and true from RV world I believe is Butyl Tape but there is newer stuff.

Reworked LMTV

Working on on tracto protection valve N50012B

Working on the Tractor Protection Valve. The right rear gladhands was leaking air last week, so I decided to pull the valve. sure enough, it was dirty in the valve body. The valve actually worked fine yesterday, but I don't want to take a chance since a failure with not allow air to build for the brakes. The valve is military only, per Haldex, though I think it can be crossed. Using RN31BC repair kit. It lacks a replacement flapper vent valve replacement part, so I fabricated one. Without this replacement, failure is eminent. Valve parts fell on floor while taking apart. Trying to figure out if the pointed end on the rubber valve goes to the plastic port side or the the starburst cut metal side. I used O ring lube, since the piston does not slide easily without it. One of the screws snapped off of the valve body, so will be replacing that (PITA).

Attachments

Last edited:

scottmandu

Working on the Tractor Protection Valve. The right rear gladhands was leaking air last week, so I decided to pull the valve. sure enough, it was dirty in the valve body. The valve actually worked fine yesterday, but I don't want to take a chance since a failure with not allow air to build for the brakes. The valve is military only, per Haldex, though I think it can be crossed. Using RN31BC repair kit. It lacks a replacement flapper vent valve replacement part, so I fabricated one. Without this replacement, failure is eminent. Valve parts fell on floor while taking apart. Trying to figure out if the pointed end on the rubber valve goes to the plastic port side or the the starburst cut metal side. I used O ring lube, since the piston does not slide easily without it. One of the screws snapped off of the valve body, so will be replacing that (PITA).
The local big Truck store has those TPV for $43 brand new.

Reworked LMTV

The local big Truck store has those TPV for $43 brand new.
Are you sure that is the same part? I noticed someone else's TPV was different from mine. Is it possible the 6WD trucks have a different valve from the 4WD?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are you sure that is the same part? I noticed someone else's TPV was different from mine.

There are several different variations in different styles and look. They all serve the same purpose. It depends on the supplier. Bendix ones may not look like a Armada or Midland one but they all serve the same purpose.

Reworked LMTV

There are several different variations in different styles and look. They all serve the same purpose. It depends on the supplier. Bendix ones may not look like a Armada or Midland one but they all serve the same purpose.
I just want to be sure that the S&S 6WD take the same valves as their 4WD.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I just want to be sure that the S&S 6WD take the same valves as their 4WD.
Apparently you aren't an air brake person then. Doesnt matter of its 6x6 or 8x8 or a m939 truck or a m1078. Tractor protection valves are nearly all the same and have the same function. It all depends on who had th contract for supplying them while being built or thru refurb.

Some may have 4 ports some may have 6 or even up to 10. If you get a 10 port protection valve then block off the ones you don't need.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Apparently you aren't an air brake person then. Doesnt matter of its 6x6 or 8x8 or a m939 truck or a m1078. Tractor protection valves are nearly all the same and have the same function. It all depends on who had th contract for supplying them while being built or thru refurb.

Some may have 4 ports some may have 6 or even up to 10. If you get a 10 port protection valve then block off the ones you don't need.

I repaired all of the air brake lines torn out by a forklift. Replaced two cans. Took 3 courses on air brakes.There is the operator science and pneumatic science. I noted that there are various air line sizes and automatic and manual valves apparently.

"I am an air brake guy not. Herh herh herh. I want not to be on the 11 o' clock news Yes, hmmm" Said Yoda... Use the pneumatic force Luke......

I just think it is best to ask and be extra sure when it comes to matters involving a 20,000 lb vehicle stopping.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I repaired all of the air brake lines torn out by a forklift. Replaced two cans. Took 3 courses on air brakes.There is the operator science and pneumatic science. I noted that there are various air line sizes.

"I am an air brake guy not. Herh herh herh. I want not to be on the 11 o' clock news Yes, hmmm" Said Yoda... Use the pneumatic force Luke......

I just think it is best to ask and be extra sure when it comes to matters involving a 20,000 lb vehicle stopping.
Yea well an LMTV is nothing special regardless of 6x6 or 4x4. It takes the same air components that a 20,000lb truck or a 80,000lb gvw truck would have. The industry for air brake parts in the military is the commercial truck market

Reworked LMTV

Yea well an LMTV is nothing special regardless of 6x6 or 4x4. It takes the same air components that a 20,000lb truck or a 80,000lb gvw truck would have. The industry for air brake parts in the military is the commercial truck market

Yes, you can use other valves, since as you say, they all fx the same. BUT, other brands will NOT be plug and play. You will have to reroute, or add line, etc. Translation: total PITA

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks