• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1088a1 Camper Build!

LongsPeakMoto

Yeah doesn't look like there's any habitat suspension or articulation capability. Looks like any off-road would destroy the house in short order.

Aux cooler would be better between the frame rails with fans that push air into the low pressure area under the truck (ground effect).
The frame as it sits is 5in above the wheels over the next week that will be changing to about 12-14in of space. This is the rough draft, basically the template for me to build on. It won't hit a dirt road for another 2 months while I fix problems like that and upgrade other parts.

LongsPeakMoto

Just a thought but you should put a flat piece of 3/16th thick aluminum sheet metal from your habitat down past the bottom of that radiator or you wont make it a day before those tires throw a rock through the radiator ! Keep up the good work !
Already added a sheat of metal just didn't have a photo. We have the plate spaced off 1in and has a little scoop out the side. There will also be a single fan installed to the back of the fan (towards the frame) to help move air when driving slowly.

LongsPeakMoto

What did you for isolation between the box and frame? With the frame that long there's going to be some flex and you don't want to destroy the box.
Right now the box has a 3in rail that holds it across the entire frame. I have added a 6 temp mounts to hold while I build the box out. The mounts on it are L brackets that have 2 large bolts holding it down. This does give the brackets a little movement up and down but is probably not our final product.

LongsPeakMoto

After another month of wrenching we have found a few more problems. Our middle passenger tire has a small leak and since the ctis system still doesn't work we have to manually pump the tire up every few days which takes a good amount of time. (I have a spare just haven't installed it yet)
We also found that our trailer is not getting air. That said our trailer brakes are stuck on. I have put the clamps on the air so I can move it around the street while we continue to build the truck.
Lastly I have found that our truck weight is right at the legal limit. The truck weighs in at 25500 and our trailer is 7400. To my knowledge as long as we stay under 26k on the truck and under 10k on the trailer I should be able to drive it. (I could be incorrect here still doing research on that)
Our next steps are to cut the wheel wells out of the box, fix the floor in the front, make a roof rack and build the air intake system.

Lot of work to do and we move in full time in a month. Here comes a bunch of late nights and early mornings!

Attachments

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After another month of wrenching we have found a few more problems. Our middle passenger tire has a small leak and since the ctis system still doesn't work we have to manually pump the tire up every few days which takes a good amount of time. (I have a spare just haven't installed it yet)
We also found that our trailer is not getting air. That said our trailer brakes are stuck on. I have put the clamps on the air so I can move it around the street while we continue to build the truck.
Lastly I have found that our truck weight is right at the legal limit. The truck weighs in at 25500 and our trailer is 7400. To my knowledge as long as we stay under 26k on the truck and under 10k on the trailer I should be able to drive it. (I could be incorrect here still doing research on that)
Our next steps are to cut the wheel wells out of the box, fix the floor in the front, make a roof rack and build the air intake system.

Lot of work to do and we move in full time in a month. Here comes a bunch of late nights and early mornings!
Depends on how you have it registered. Not sure about Colorado specifically, but RVs usually have different rules. In WI, if an RV I can go up to 80klbs and something like 43' before a CDL is needed.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Is this t-bolt what your using on your trailer brake cans to release the brake if not its what you should be using and you can get them at ORILEYS in a day or so download.jpg

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Im kinda in your same boat with tall trailers if you start up much of any grade difference the trailer is going to get into your camper i think i would take the front bow out of your trailer to keep from messing up your camper !

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

What state are you going to register your truck in ?? Not colorodo ! for sure so once you pick the state you can get someone to foward your truck mail to your current home the question would be what does that state say about vehicles over 10,001 lbs / operated by air brakes/26,001 lbs / camper and i wouldnt mention the trailer will open up more questions to some busy body at that lic plate location like what are you gona haul ect .ect . And all your gona do is go camping in this truck and no other use NOTHING FOR HIRE/COMPENSATION !

LongsPeakMoto

What state are you going to register your truck in ?? Not colorodo ! for sure so once you pick the state you can get someone to foward your truck mail to your current home the question would be what does that state say about vehicles over 10,001 lbs / operated by air brakes/26,001 lbs / camper and i wouldnt mention the trailer will open up more questions to some busy body at that lic plate location like what are you gona haul ect .ect . And all your gona do is go camping in this truck and no other use NOTHING FOR HIRE/COMPENSATION !
I actually have it registered in Colorado right now as a tractor trailer. It is plated and passed emissions. The question is do I get the title changed to an RV or just keep it as it is.

LongsPeakMoto

Im kinda in your same boat with tall trailers if you start up much of any grade difference the trailer is going to get into your camper i think i would take the front bow out of your trailer to keep from messing up your camper !
I had the same idea. We are cutting part of the box to allow a little more articulation of the trailer tongue we also are moving the tent back 2 feet and making a trailer storage box for the front. This should help when off road.

LongsPeakMoto

Depends on how you have it registered. Not sure about Colorado specifically, but RVs usually have different rules. In WI, if an RV I can go up to 80klbs and something like 43' before a CDL is needed.
That's what I thought I am planning on going to the dmv after the inside is finished so I can get it re titled as an RV I'm really hoping they don't do an inspection. Some people have told me they will other have said they won't. Either way hopefully I get someone at the dmv who doesn't really understand what I'm doing and just gives me the papers to sign haha.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I actually have it registered in Colorado right now as a tractor trailer. It is plated and passed emissions. The question is do I get the title changed to an RV or just keep it as it is.
I was under the impression that colorodo outlawed military vehicles from road use and the vin number being a few digits short would raise their eyebrows !

LongsPeakMoto

I was under the impression that colorodo outlawed military vehicles from road use and the vin number being a few digits short would raise their eyebrows !
Got mine titled as a tractor trailer so the people at the dmv just pushed it thru no questions asked. Been about 6 months now no problems had a few cops asking me about it while I was working on it never even asked for my name. I did read that and honestly it's making this process harder. I want to build a humvee to have as my daily (and to tow my boat) but like you said colorado doesn't allow military vehicles. I have meet a few other people that do have some sorta military vehicle and they all went thru the same process I did.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks