• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109/185 Van Body Antenna Mount

Katahdin

Is there an Army-correct way (TM instructions, etc) to mount an antenna scoop bracket to a M109/M185 Van Body?

I may be able to pick up a scoop bracket while I'm down here in Texas and am wondering what I should look for and where to place it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is another variation that came on my M185. If it isn't obvious, this is the drivers side front corner.
The mounting bolts go all the way through to the inside of the box, where there is a large reinforcing plate. It is well caulked both inside and out.

Cheers

Attachments

papakb

One of the best locations for the antenna on a duece was just inside the front bumper. This allows the antenna to be tied back for transit but then allows it to stand straight up for commo. It also means the antenna doesn't make any more holes in the shelter. I've also seen the spacer bracket that was used on the M37 antenna bolted to the body. The same bracket was used when the antennas on the dueces were mounted to the beds. Sorry I don't have the number for the bracket for you.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

Last edited:

Lextreme

One of the best locations for the antenna on a duece was just inside the front bumper. This allows the antenna to be tied back for transit but then allows it to stand straight up for commo. It also means the antenna doesn't make any more holes in the shelter. I've also seen the spacer bracket that was used on the M37 antenna bolted to the body. The same bracket was used when the antennas on the dueces were mounted to the beds. Sorry I don't have the number for the bracket for you.

Kurt
KG6KMJ
One advantage of having a M109 is the height. Antenna is better in high location for reception and transmission. Mounting inside of the front bumper, you are defeating the purpose of an antenna. I am a licensed ham operator and my antenna scoop is mounted about one foot from the top of the box on the left side near the front of the box. I also have a Diamond X510HDN 17 feet antenna so it gives very good reception. I dont drive with the 17 feet antenna. I take it down when i drive the camper. From the ground it is about 27 feet tall.

I put the scoop on the side because the spring loaded antenna can fold down. If in front it will not able to fold down. Location like LowTech and M813 is perfect.

Last edited:

papakb

A 17' antenna probably means your running an HF rig in the truck although 18' would be the length of a AT-1011. There's no mention of what radio Katahdin wants to run in his 109 so the answer was meant to be generic. The typical VHF antennas used on military trucks (1729 & 3900) are about 10'. 66" and 52" respectively. Because of the militaries need to move quickly they usually don't have the time to dismount their antennas before taking off so they began looking for practical places to mount their antennas. Inside the front bumper was convenient and relatively safe and they could be pulled down quickly. And it was a better option than mounting them on the engine side cowls.

The location near the top of the box is idea for propagation but not necessarily the best for motivation.

The other issue is that the 109 boxes have a tendancy to rust out when holes are drilled in them. Most of the trucks that got released before this last batch had terrible problems with rust. The last batch, which are the best, were released because they were replaced with newer model trucks like the Stewart & Stevensons and tended to be the best of the older trucks that units held onto until the very end. Adding holes isn't a good idea unless you understand proper rustproofing techniques to prevent it.

Kurt
KG6KMJ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks