• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 and M35a2 differences

MattS127

I am looking into getting a deuce in the near future and I like the shop body on the m109 but I have heard from some that the top speed and cruising speed is normally 45. I am not sure if there is credit to that or if it can easily do 52-58 like a normal cargo covered deuce can. I'm not looking for a speed demon vehicle but I'd like to be able to cruise at 52 and not be on th redline along with being able to get up to speed at a comparable rate to the m35. Anyone that has owned or driven these to and can offer me some advice I'd appreciate it. Also I know the mpg is bad on the m109 but is there there any big issues with the shop bodies over the m35 that I may be overlooking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am looking into getting a deuce in the near future and I like the shop body on the m109 but I have heard from some that the top speed and cruising speed is normally 45. I am not sure if there is credit to that or if it can easily do 52-58 like a normal cargo covered deuce can. I'm not looking for a speed demon vehicle but I'd like to be able to cruise at 52 and not be on th redline along with being able to get up to speed at a comparable rate to the m35. Anyone that has owned or driven these to and can offer me some advice I'd appreciate it. Also I know the mpg is bad on the m109 but is there there any big issues with the shop bodies over the m35 that I may be overlooking?

The MPG sucks on all of them , you will get similar drag on a M35A2 with the canvas tarp on.
Getting into MV's means life in the slow lane.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Unless you turn the engine up (1900 RPM is about normal military setting) and put taller tires on you are going to be a toad in the road.

It's the nature of the beast.

Riding along in the slow lane of the interstate at 45-55 MPH and having big rigs blast by you at 75 plus is nerve wracking, been there, done that.

In my M927A2 I'm still gearbound to around 65 and still have the big rigs blowing by. I just have more mass behind me in case of a careless driver.

Owning a surplus military vehicle has it's own set of challenges and low speed is one on them.

You just have to decide what your threshold of excitement is.

I've owned M35's and M109's and they both ran the same top end wise. That is.......slow.

Katahdin

I own both, a properly tuned M109 will cruise at 52mph, with 9.00x20s, under redline. I convoyed the 109 with a dozen other trucks this summer and she kept up just fine. It was noticeable that m35a2s with larger tires had to downshift on small hills that I could still climb in 5th.

m109.jpg

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in my Deuce with 900x20s 52 MPH is my number, everything on my truck is SMOOOOTH at that speed, well OK its as smooth as Deuce can get!
Karl

winfred

my 109 is comfy at 60 on 395s, mayve touched 65 once on the back side of a overpass as you will have your foot welded to the floor climbing it and need to remember to back off at appropriate speed

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Waiting on Ferro to post what Bella can do with the turned up LDS and larger tires. I remember Angie blowing by us one year coming back from the GA Rally - she was at least 10 mph faster than I was going. And I was pedal to the floor!

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M185A3, an M109A3, an M35A2, and am long-term babysitting an M109A3 on 395s. My opinions are based on those trucks.

First, take into account that the M109/M185 weigh roughly 4000# more than an M35, and have even more barn-door-like aerodynamics. M109 and M185 are essentially the same truck, the difference being mainly how the box was wired up.

So -
When the M35 was first acquired, we drove it from Virginia to Texas. It ran like a champ, the truck's "happy" cruising speed, with the tarp on the back, was 54. It would go a tad faster, but didn't seem to like it. Later the stock 9.00s got switched out for 11.00s. This took "happy cruising speed" to 58-59. That's as fast as I want to go in one of these trucks anyway.
There was no noticeable difference in power between the 9.00s and 11.00s; but, counter-intuitively, it became a bit easier to steer.

When I first got the M185, it's indicated cruising speed was 48mph. I soon discovered, using GPS, that it was actually doing 52 when indicating 48. I got it up to the manual listed top speed of 58 - once. That was on a long flat highway. That truck is slated to be re-shoed with 11.00s in the near future, we'll see what that changes.

My M109 has virtually identical performance. It accelerates from a stop a tad faster than the M185, but once going the 185 catches up quickly and is probably 1/2 a mph faster at cruise.

While the M109 and M185 are definitely more top heavy than the M35, they are not in peril of falling over sideways unless you really work at it. I have seen one go around a corner at way too high a speed, and while it tilted at what I considered an alarming angle, it didn't go over.

Now, the M109 on 395s. I picked that up for a friend and drove it 250 miles home. On level ground, it is much faster than the other two box trucks, it will cruise over 60mph with no problems. But...get to a hill, and it slows way down, even on hills where the other two don't. It is also more susceptible to headwinds. I've driven it in convoy with the other trucks, it has to be held back on the flats, but when we get to hills, the other two just walk away from it. Those tires are definitely larger than the power of the truck wants to push.
While the two on 9.00s feel rock steady while driving, the one on 395s feels less stable. We've checked out the front end carefully, everything is well maintained and set as it should be. Braking performance is also reduced on that truck, as it will be on any stock vehicle that you put on bigger, heavier tires with more rotational mass. My personal opinion, which is just that and worth two cents, is that those tires are just too big for that truck.
Looks cool though.

The M35 on 11.00s gets around 9.5 mpg. The box trucks all get around 8-8.5mpg. The one on 395s is getting better mileage on the flats, but works harder and needs to downshift sooner on hills, so loses whatever it gained on the flats.
I think these trucks on 11.00s may be the perfect setup (or 14.5s, which are roughly the same diameter as 11.00s). It is what the military was switching to at the end of the M35's career.

There's my 2cents. Other opinions may vary.

Cheers

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grrr...I hate not being able to edit my own post. :x

In the above, keep in mind that the M109 on 395s has an empty box. The other M109 and the M185 are set up as campers with bunkbeds and a bunch of other stuff in the back.

Cheers

MattS127

Thank you guys very much for the replies I see that the two trucks are pretty similar now when the time comes to begin looking I will probably choose the one in the best condition that I can find for a good price it's good to hear that if I come across a m109 there is no huge disadvantages as I was thinking there would be.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Grrr...I hate not being able to edit my own post. :x

In the above, keep in mind that the M109 on 395s has an empty box. The other M109 and the M185 are set up as campers with bunkbeds and a bunch of other stuff in the back.

Cheers
Now you can... I just moved this thread to the Deuce forum.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you guys very much for the replies I see that the two trucks are pretty similar now when the time comes to begin looking I will probably choose the one in the best condition that I can find for a good price it's good to hear that if I come across a m109 there is no huge disadvantages as I was thinking there would be.
They really are similar, basically the same truck other than the bed. The box truck is a tad slower, but on 11.00s I think it is going to be closer to the upper 50s on speed.
The decision for you will be what you like, and what you want to use it for. From experience, the M35 is more versatile, but the M109/M185 are much better campers, and are a nice secure place to store your show gear if you are into that.

Cheers

Captaincarrier

All very good info here. I have my M109 in the shop this winter going through the annual stuff. Don't know if I'll get the 395's on but here's hoping.

Don't know if fuel mileage has been considered but comfort has.