• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 box on M932A2

jesusgatos

M109 box on M939

Seriously thinking about swapping my M109 box over onto an M939, Would probably prefer a cargo truck, but the tractors are selling a lot cheaper and the shorter overall length is kinda appealing. Have been searching and reading, wondering though, how it would all line-up. Probably couldn't keep the spare tire rack?

EDIT: purchased an M923A2!

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Wow, nevermind. There was no useful information shared in that thread and zout made it pretty clear that wasn't an accident. Enjoyed watching him build that M109, but he can take that attitude a shove it. Would really appreciate any helpful information anyone might be able and willing to share. Things like the length of the frame from the cab to the back of the frame with/out the spare tire rack, location of the rear axles, etc. Would like to buy one of these M932A2's and need to know if it's long enough to accomodate my M109 box. Only other thing that I'm real curious about is the vertical tire clearance at full compression. Wondering if the tires will clear the bottom of the box, or if I'll need to raise it. Saw a thread where someone mounted a bed a 5th wheel plate and thought that was a really slick idea, but that might be a little too tall...

goldneagle

I did the measuring for installing a M109 box on a M923 chassis. The box will end up about 1 foot in from the rear of the chassis and you will have about a foot in front between the box and the spare tire carrier. I think I have measurements in my M923 conversion thread. I will be doing the swap of cargo and 109 box later in the year when it cools down here in Louisiana. The lineup is necessary due to the cutouts for the rear wheels on the M109 box. You will need to install new angles on the frame of the 109 box in order to line up with the brackets already on the M923 frame. You will also need to move the mudflaps farther apart to fit the tires on the M923. If you steal the tail light brackets from the M109 truck they will fit the M923. You can also extend the pipe on the glad hands to match the M109.

I think I covered the preliminaries. I will be happy to share ideas with you through the PM system.

Last edited:

zout

Quote from the OP - Enjoyed watching him build that M109 - Therefore my thank you.

Other than that I was not touching anything else stated nor responding to the negative comment for me to shove it. I fail to see why the OP did not re-read my entire posts and realize when I am done with the build all the pictures will posted when the thread opens up again. Aide from understanding the reasoning and legality of it all.

His opinion is valued here - but not necessary to tell me to shove it.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
26 May 2.jpg26 May 3.jpg26 May 5.jpgI have a M931A2 with a standard deuce cargo box on it. As we all know the mounting measurements for a 109 box and a cargo box are exactly the same. The box is mounted with the two inverted "C" holders under the box centered between the tandems. Just like it is when the box is mounted on a deuce. The 109 box has those mounts also in the same place. Both my M818 with a 109 box and my M931A2 cargo box are mounted using the same mounts that came on both boxes. Soon I will probably mount the 109 box on the M931A2. All I will have to do is remove the cargo box and the 109 box by unbolting both and just make a switch. Quick and easy change. Take a look at the M931A2 and you can get an idea what the 109 would look like on it. I will use the 10 tires from the M818 on the M931A2 so I do not have to carry a spare tire.

goldneagle

View attachment 444040View attachment 444041View attachment 444042I have a M931A2 with a standard deuce cargo box on it. As we all know the mounting measurements for a 109 box and a cargo box are exactly the same. The box is mounted with the two inverted "C" holders under the box centered between the tandems. Just like it is when the box is mounted on a deuce. The 109 box has those mounts also in the same place. Both my M818 with a 109 box and my M931A2 cargo box are mounted using the same mounts that came on both boxes. Soon I will probably mount the 109 box on the M931A2. All I will have to do is remove the cargo box and the 109 box by unbolting both and just make a switch. Quick and easy change. Take a look at the M931A2 and you can get an idea what the 109 would look like on it. I will use the 10 tires from the M818 on the M931A2 so I do not have to carry a spare tire.
Looks like the rear bumperetts are recessed as is the pintle receiver. I think Macus mentioned he had to extend the frame by a foot so the bumperetts would fit where they should.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Those pictures do not show the frame extension. It is 17 inches of frame and then add the bumperetts and it all comes to a total of 25 inches. The bumperetts will then extend about 1-1.5 inches beyond rear of the cargo box or 109 box. The same distance as I added to the M818 when I put the 109 box on it.

Last edited:

jesusgatos

Any reason you're trying to illicit conflict? (Addressed to all)
I fail to see why the OP did not re-read my entire posts and realize when I am done with the build all the pictures will posted when the thread opens up again. Aide from understanding the reasoning and legality of it all.

His opinion is valued here - but not necessary to tell me to shove it.
zout said:
...I spent a lot of time figuring this all out just from measurements - I cannot see any obvious reason I would give the time I spent UP FOR FREE - I owe no one anything - not even advise. Reason some of us buy these is that we are already aware of almost everything we might run into with NO HELP. Now take it a step farther and start converting these into something else - all I can say is you better have your arse wired tight and some already close friends and a pocket full of money.

One reason I took the original M109 build thread off - reason other members have removed their threads - I am not a help line to build stuff over the phone.

Just a thought - just to ask where to place U bolts and what size is an already indication someone is above their head - this is so obvious to those that have done it its a no brainer.
This is where you lost me zout. When you first came to this forum and started posting, you added a lot of value, with thoughtful and helpful posts. You were sharing a lot of information about your projects with all of us. The apparent change in your attitude more recently stands in glaring contrast to the humility found in your earlier posts. Not sure what that's all about, and don't really care, just saying that it sucks. Sorry if you got overwhelmed by all the attention and questions people had for you, and nobody asked me, but I'm telling you I think that's a ****ty way to handle it. If you want to be a miserly curmudgeon, keeping everything to yourself, that's fine - but please don't poison the well. This is nothing personal, just an observation about something that I think is relevant and related to the overall heath and wellbeing of this forum. The kind of attitude reflected in that post of yours I quoted does nothing but drag a community like this down. That's all.

jesusgatos

How wide is dropside cargo bed on a M923A2? Interested in the inside and outside dimensions. Wondering if there's any chance I'll be able to mount the M109 box on top of the cargo bed without removing the dropsides. Not a big deal either way, but would be super cool if I could keep them. Not only would they be useful when the box is removed, but I could also extend them (make them taller), like on the USMC trucks and fold them down 90-degrees to make a wrap-around porch!

goldneagle

Not gonna fit inside the drop-sides. You will need to remove the sides to put the M109 box on top. If you had a shelter that would be different. I would also be concerned about the height. The 5 ton is already taller that a Deuce especially with the 14.00 tires. Now you are adding the height of the M109 on top of the existing cargo bed. Probably around an extra foot in height vs removing the bed first.

jesusgatos

Figured it was a longshot, but had to ask. Maybe I can modify them to sit a little further out? Not a real big deal either way, but am really liking the idea of putting the box on top of the cargo bed and rigging some kind of jacks that would enable me to load/unload it relatively easily. Not too concerned about the height. Should still be well under legal limits, right?

WRMorrison

Did I miss a key thread? Why are you ditching the deuce and putting the box on a 5-ton? Didn't you sink a ton of money into that deuce?

-WRM

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks