• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 box on top of drop-side flatbed?

jesusgatos

That's what this is, right? How much does a drop-side bed like this weigh? 1000lbs? Also wondering how much height it would add if I were to put the M109 box on top of it. Planning on adding something like camper jacks to the M109 box, and would like to have some kind of flatbed sandwiched between the framerails and the box. Will build something custom if a regular dropside bed is too heavy and/or tall.

Attachments

jesusgatos

Can anybody confirm the original application for this flatbed (NSN says 5-ton?), and whether or not it will fit on the back of a deuce and a half? Says it's 14ft long, which is what's got me a little bit confused...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That bed originated on the M54A2C in the late 60s and has been used right up to the 923 series. It's heavy, figure without sides maybe 1500 to 1800#. We just cut one down for the JW4X4 trucktor. M109 body probably weighs in at 4000# plus. I just scrapped one, had some stuff tossed in the back and weighed 4900#.

Oh, the bed in the pic is 14'.

jesusgatos

Thanks for the info. That's a bit heavier than I was hoping, and will probably end up building something a little smaller/lighter weight to fit under the M109 box. But thinking it might still be worth purchasing if it will fit the chassis without too much work. Will not be using my M109 as a motorhome forever, and the plan is to use the truck to haul building materials and stuff to build a cabin eventually.

Doesn't look like there are any wheelwell cutouts. What about mounting points? Those are all the same between the 2.5 and 5-ton trucks, right? Oh, and the length? Wouldn't be too big of a deal to cut it down, but would probably prefer to leave it full-length if that wouldn't be a problem. Might be an issue if I were towing anything over extreme terrain?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's a 14 footer. Rails are the same width so it will sit right on a deuce frame but you will need to move some mounts.

rlwm211

I would be concerned about the overall height. I have an S280 on my dropside deuce and the overall is 11'-1".

The M109 box is taller than the S280 if I am not mistaken. You will be well over 11 feet with the 109 box on top of the deuce bed.

I would suggest that you think about building a jacking system that would allow you to drive out from under the 109 box and back under a cargo bed. There is not a lot of hardware to remove and the mud flaps are the only things that would be a pain. Just an idea.

RL

jesusgatos

no m35 drop side beds near you?
No, not much out here on the west coast. But wasn't something that I was really looking for either, it just popped-up and thought I'd grab it if I could get a good deal on it...
I would be concerned about the overall height. I have an S280 on my dropside deuce and the overall is 11'-1".

The M109 box is taller than the S280 if I am not mistaken. You will be well over 11 feet with the 109 box on top of the deuce bed.

I would suggest that you think about building a jacking system that would allow you to drive out from under the 109 box and back under a cargo bed. There is not a lot of hardware to remove and the mud flaps are the only things that would be a pain. Just an idea.

RL
I am concerned about the height, yes. Not looking like I'll be able to put the M109 box on top of this bed. Too tall. But am planning on doing pretty much exactly what you're suggesting. Only thing is that I'm going to be traveling for a while, so would be nice to have some kind of a flatbed under the box. Will probably just end up building something custom, but still like the idea of using this bed for something. Maybe making a dump setup or dedicated workbed or something.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

The M939 beds DO have the cut outs for the tailights. The M809s and M39 series do NOT have the cutouts for the tail lights. So yes, that's an M939 dropside bed.

Last edited:

jaxsof

If it had been closer, I would have been watching it for a trailer build I have going. But I agree, $600 is a bit much, especially without the sides.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks