• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 box weight, removal, and value

Bowtie70SS

I am picking up my deuce tonight in a couple of hours. I am going to remove the box off of the back. My friend has a service truck with a crane that lifts 8 tons and goes up 18 feet so that is my current plan. What does it weigh? Is there anything I need to be careful of when removing? I am going to pick up a bed tomorrow but it is 100+ miles away so i wont drive the truck I will bring it home on the trailer. The bed weighs what 1800lbs? Does anyone look for these or should I just turn it into a shed or the coolest clubhouse ever for my boys? It has the side and front windows and single back door. Thanks guys.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote clubhouse(elevated).

That crane will be fine.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Remember that 8 tons is short boom, close to truck, 18' up and out will not lift a lot. just because is a 8 toner and can reach 18' DOES NOT mean it can lift 8 ton at 18'

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimpyrobb is in your neck of the woods. He may be able to help you too.

3dAngus

in very good condition the boxes are worth $3000 to $4000 as they have gotten very hard to find

This is amazing and surprising somewhat too, and probably correct, but I wouldn't know for sure. I thought I had seen some for less.

I do know when I bought my M109A3 I paid less then this for the whole thing.

So why do I post on it? Well, several members have been chiming in on the coming rising cost of things. I am beginning to believe it to be true, even here in the cheap ole Southeastern US. With the supplies getting lower, and the vehicles getting out there, it just makes plain ole economic sense prices do rise some, especially for hard to find parts. The M109 box should be a fairly rare item in the near future due to people taking them off, scrapping them, and turning their truck back into a deuce with bed or other utility truck for the farms.

The elevated playhouse thing will preserve it for a long while and you can retain your investment in it, and even possibly see the price rise from todays value, whatever it is. In the meantime the kids will love it. Kinda makes me think of that Duck Dynasty Show where the rednecks all got together and hoisted a camper up in a tree for a duck blind. Now THAT WAS COOL! Funny too.

Good luck with it, whatever you decide. I do hope you don't scrap it.