• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Mobile Man Cave Begins

A

A/C Cages

Cookeemann.... If one of my welders did that I would fire them on the spot.
Hate to say this, but you will have exhaust leaks in those welds before you know it. Too low of heat and it looks like they used fluxcore..... Never use fluxcore when dealing with piping.

cookeemann

I hear you Brother. But it's about all you can expect here where I am. I guess when it starts leaking I can just grind it down and hit it with my welder and try to seal it up.

Sure sounds good with that muffler on it though. Has kind of a DOOM DOOM DOOM sound from behind. Like one of those saggy pant guys' stereos.

That muffler would have to be hard to beat.

cheers! Cookeemann

big block 88

looks to me like there is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to much wire there and not enough heat... I think after a trip down a dirt road that will be laying on the road. Not tryin to be a **** but I would rework that as soon as possible

Tlauden

Ditto on the exhaust comments, now I can't weld but even I can see that doesn't loom to good... I would be taking it right back to the shop where it came from and they would be fixing it with proper welds, AND pipin the exhaust to where I want it... I don't know about you but when I pay for a job I want it done right! And they would probably be buying me a new J-pipe I they torched it after you said NOT to... That's my 2 cents.

Good looking rig on the inside though, I can't wait to see more pics of your progress on it!

velociT

Ditto on the exhaust comments, now I can't weld but even I can see that doesn't loom to good... I would be taking it right back to the shop where it came from and they would be fixing it with proper welds, AND pipin the exhaust to where I want it... I don't know about you but when I pay for a job I want it done right! And they would probably be buying me a new J-pipe I they torched it after you said NOT to... That's my 2 cents.

Good looking rig on the inside though, I can't wait to see more pics of your progress on it!
Agree.

In the old days, if you did the job wrong, you didn't get paid. I see no problem with that method.

A

A/C Cages

You might want to clean up the welds and then also due to piping vibrations,,,,, I would run at least 3 ribs of metal vertically along the pipe about 4 inches long. This way you wont drop your exhaust off on the road like Big Block 88 mentinoned.
They only need to be scrap peices of steel for the ribs.
Just a trick I learned from my Grandfather who was an ironworker.

cookeemann

I'll definitely swap out the bulbs. I was thinking about that yesterday. The two 24 v in the center are bright enough for night so 6 small wattage should be fine.

Called the muffler shop and they want $219 for the job they did. Crazy. I'm giving him $100 for materials and the time it took to bend the pipe and will be re-doing it myself. Oh, and it leaks at the welds. Big surprise.

Lineoleum glues down today and then I gotta figure out the bunks.

cookeemann

I'm in Clovis. I heard about the get together a while back and was planning on coming but my son's graduating Air Force Basic Training that Friday so I'll be out of town.

Please post some pics!

ARYankee

The "Decepticon" emblem on the air filter inlet didn't work. I guess it didn't turn into a robot and protect itself from J pipe molestation.................I'm just glad it isn't held on by duct tape.........

Ok since no one has asked...... Where did you get the stencil for that? I've wanted to stencil an Autobot on one truck and Decepticon on the other. I love it!!!!

cookeemann

Glad I'm not the only one...

I couldn't find one so I printed my own from a pic on line and cut it out myself.

My bobber'll have the Autobot emblem on it. ; )

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here is what I did for the bunks, Storage under the bottom one. Left the corner supports high as I might want to add a head board storage later. As we all know there are many, many ways to do the bunk thing. This way seems to work for me. Oh ya ! I went and got the best mattresses I could and then designed the rest of the inside of the van around the bunks.

The crappy screens have been replaced with NOS ones thanks to ziggyO.

Attachments

Last edited:

cookeemann

I like the paneling around the wall. I may have to do that.

We have the power boxes in the front right of the box so our bunks'll have to run lengthwise vs widthwise.

Did you build the collapsible table yourself? I'd like to build one of those for ours. We had one in our motorhome and it was perfect for the kids. A fullsize one would be nice.

Anybody know where plans might be? I know I could figure it out but if somebody's already done the measuring......:idea:

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
The table came out of a old 72 Winnebago I had. Also the furnace, fridge and sink came from it. I put the power boxes under the counter next to the fridge. Put fridge in the right rear corner and reset the fridge door so one can open it from the ground to keep from having to get into the van to get a pop when traveling. Brought 110 power to them from under the truck box. To much trouble running power stuff inside the van itself. I abandoned the existing lights for now. Cut off the wires at the front of the truck in the wire though. Might use them later.

cookeemann

The Mobile Man Cave has new meats!!

395s and they came with wheels. 5 ton wheels? Haven't done the research yet but there HAS to be a way to adapt them.

Eight total. One punctured with a forklift (looks like). Sucks cause that one had almost new tread. Another has a big skid patch but good tread.

Hopefully when I download and inspect the others I'll at least have 6 good ones.
Recovered from Hooks TX, Red River Army Depot. Great folks and there is enough stuff there to overwhelm.
Right outside the base there's a huge military tire operation and a bobbed Deuce. Steadily loading wrapped mil tires onto tractor trailers. Didn't get the name though. I'll call them back and get the info.........

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks