• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 no longer an Emergency

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a buddy driving from Ca to MI in an M109 Deuce. The truck wont go over 35mph anymore and he is in AZ. The truck has the 465 multifuel engine. Any info will help
Just fishing for answers...
• Did the problem start after getting fuel?
• Any chance of changing the fuel filter (wix 33113 possibly)
• Brake Drums - Are they hot? Possibly shoes dragging. Maybe fluid not returning . Did it start after hard braking?

Parts List for filters etc are linked below:

Steve92307

Just fishing for answers...
• Did the problem start after getting fuel?
• Any chance of changing the fuel filter (wix 33113 possibly)

Parts List for filters etc are linked below:
It started about 150mile into the trip and the fuel filters have not been changed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
He is gonna change out the fuel filters first. I did run it out of fuel accidentally a couple days ago. He looked at all the wheels and other then an axle seal leak everything looks fine.
Good deal! Maybe a little rust and sludge got picked up from the bottom of the tank.

I don't know if there is a wire screen inside the injector pump or not (like the Cummins has).
Hopefully somebody smarter than me can answer that question.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha, Wes said your out in AZ. The guy with the Duece wants to get it towed back to Michigan. You interested?

Mildly. The logistics probably make it cheaper to just have it transported.

First off, deuces have a tendency to sometimes behave poorly on towbars. So we run the risk i get there and hook up to it and it won't tow. (And sometimes they tow fine. You don't know til you try.)

Secondly, I'm in KS at the moment with next trip west not beginning until 15 July. My truck and towbars are in Mountainair NM. So earliest starting point would be Mountainair NM around the 22nd.

Third, it's probably fixable where it is and can be driven. If it's a time constraint thing, I'm willing to drive it for him once it's fixed. (Cheap, but not free.)

If all of the above doesn't kill it, I'll crunch numbers and give you a cost for me to go get it with towbars and take it to MI.

I sent you a text.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My conjecture as to the cause of the problem -

The truck has been sitting not driven a lot. There's nastiness in the fuel system. He filled it with B20 biodiesel which is an excellent solvent. The B20 sloshed around for 4 hours. This cleaned much of the nastiness off the inside of the tank and lines and deposited it further downstream into the filters and perhaps worse.

As stated above, changing the filters is the first thing to do.

You mention the speed is limited to 35mph, but you don't mention what the rpm is doing. 35mph and a high rpm would indicate that you're losing the clutch or the rear main seal is dumping oil on it and making it slip.

35mph and a corresponding low rpm is a fuel or compression/power problem.

Steve92307

My conjecture as to the cause of the problem -

The truck has been sitting not driven a lot. There's nastiness in the fuel system. He filled it with B20 biodiesel which is an excellent solvent. The B20 sloshed around for 4 hours. This cleaned much of the nastiness off the inside of the tank and lines and deposited it further downstream into the filters and perhaps worse.

As stated above, changing the filters is the first thing to do.

You mention the speed is limited to 35mph, but you don't mention what the rpm is doing. 35mph and a high rpm would indicate that you're losing the clutch or the rear main seal is dumping oil on it and making it slip.

35mph and a corresponding low rpm is a fuel or compression/power problem.
Thanks, I'll let him know what you can do. "update to the situation" He changed all 3 filters and was able to get it up to 45mph. Oil pressure is good, electric fuel pump is working, no leaks. He says it begs down a bit in 5th on a mild incline. The truck does have 11r20s on it and this is his first military truck, so with the altitude change and him being new to MVs the truck sounds like its performing as it should. Comments appreciated.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Between Kingman and Flagstaff is a bunch of hills. That's going to be a handful in a slower than anticipated deuce, especially with someone not used to the peculiar skillset these trucks demand.

He should fill up in Kingman, and fill up again in Seligman to dilute any badness. He may very well notice an improvement in performance with further driving.

@Mos68x is in Seligman, with knowledge and a 939series 5ton.

Albuquerque and surrounding area is going to be another high stress, traffic and hill infested mess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks