• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 no longer an Emergency

Steve92307

Between Kingman and Flagstaff is a bunch of hills. That's going to be a handful in a slower than anticipated deuce, especially with someone not used to the peculiar skillset these trucks demand.

He should fill up in Kingman, and fill up again in Seligman to dilute any badness. He may very well notice an improvement in performance with further driving.

@Mos68x is in Seligman, with knowledge and a 939series 5ton.

Albuquerque and surrounding area is going to be another high stress, traffic and hill infested mess.
I told him to take it easy, buy some extra fuel filters and drive at night as much as possible.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told him to take it easy, buy some extra fuel filters and drive at night as much as possible.
Driving at night has its own set of risks. Driving 25mph slower than everyone else in a vehicle with poorer lights and a color that's difficult to see runs a good chance of getting rear ended.

I've done it both ways, and after much consideration I've decided the right lane on the interstate during daylight hours is the least risk. They have enough light to see you, and a whole other lane to go around you with.

Steve92307

Driving at night has its own set of risks. Driving 25mph slower than everyone else in a vehicle with poorer lights and a color that's difficult to see runs a good chance of getting rear ended.

I've done it both ways, and after much consideration I've decided the right lane on the interstate during daylight hours is the least risk. They have enough light to see you, and a whole other lane to go around you with.
Very true. He does have a chase vehicle behind him, so that may help a little.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Very true. He does have a chase vehicle behind him, so that may help a little.
Chase Vehicle...
On long slow hills - if the traffic is roaring up behind them (or heavy traffic) - turning on the flashers to warn of the slow traveling truck.
Heck of a good plan!

Glad you were able to plan ahead ahead to have a second vehicle to gather parts and run interference as required.
I would also agree with 98G 's comment about topping off the fuel tank to possibly dilute any "gunk" that might have been dislodged...

Last edited:

TheWolf

Chase Vehicle...
On long slow hills - if the traffic is roaring up behind them (or heavy traffic) - turning on the flashers to warn of the slow traveling truck.
Heck of a good plan!

Glad you were able to plan ahead ahead to have a second vehicle to gather parts and run interference as required.
I would also agree with 98G 's comment about topping off the fuel tank to possibly dilute any "gunk" that might have been dislodged...
It was very beneficial in having the chase vehicle with, being on the side off an exit in 115 deg. We ran out of water real quick. We crawled and found an old truck repair shop with closed BBQ stand a starving for shade. Did the filter change out took me about an hour and half to change the three filters. By then we were well into the noon heat. Our wives not made for the heat. We had to stop in Kingman AZ.

Steve92307

Have they made it home safely? I just returned from a 5k road trip up to the chicago area, first time I saw the email. Apologies for being late to the party.
The previous post to yours is the owner. He left it behind because he had a wedding that he needed to be at but will be back to get the truck.

TheWolf

Mildly. The logistics probably make it cheaper to just have it transported.

First off, deuces have a tendency to sometimes behave poorly on towbars. So we run the risk i get there and hook up to it and it won't tow. (And sometimes they tow fine. You don't know til you try.)

Secondly, I'm in KS at the moment with next trip west not beginning until 15 July. My truck and towbars are in Mountainair NM. So earliest starting point would be Mountainair NM around the 22nd.

Third, it's probably fixable where it is and can be driven. If it's a time constraint thing, I'm willing to drive it for him once it's fixed. (Cheap, but not free.)

If all of the above doesn't kill it, I'll crunch numbers and give you a cost for me to go get it with towbars and take it to MI.

I sent you a text.
We are returning by the 13th to retrieve our truck. Bringing temp gun, extra filters and I was told straight 30 weight oil for the tuck. Have an extra wheelbearing and some other parts I was given when I purchased the truck. Is there anything else I should bring?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We are returning by the 13th to retrieve our truck. Bringing temp gun, extra filters and I was told straight 30 weight oil for the tuck. Have an extra wheelbearing and some other parts I was given when I purchased the truck. Is there anything else I should bring?
I'm a minimalist. I carry two jacks and a lugwrench, a towbar, and a basic set of tools.

Your chase vehicle means you can fetch anything you need. A chase vehicle and an extra person covers pretty much everything.

I use 15W40 in everything diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks