• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Radar Van

historyfanatics

I have been thinking about restoring an M109 back to a radar van. My dad used a similar van to repair Nike missile radar sites back during the Korean War. His van was an M220. Given the shortcomings of that truck, I thought I'd try building it using an M109.

I have the info on the radar. And, the one I'm thinking of will be for display only. The only hard part will be set-up and tear-down of the antenna. Everything else is self-contained.

Does anybody have any photos of what the van compartment of these trucks looked like? I'd like to take it back to as original as I can.

I plan on using a small battery-powered motor to spin the antenna.

It would give my dad something to do. :p

phil2968

I can offer no help but commend the effort. I own a M109 myself. Good luck with your project.
My dad worked on radar in Okinawa in the late 50s. He has cool pics but not of truck units.

Darwin T

good morning Robert,
i guess since you are starting another project the quad 50 is moving along, is it at the museum? i have not seen these trucks, is the antenna on the roof? there was a M109 for sale in San Antonio some rust issues on the roof but over all the truck was sound. by the way, here is a picture of the truck that i put the spring ride seat that i got from you in (about a month ago i took a trip to Red River Amry Depot and thought how nice the trip was with a springer, unlike the drive from Georgia to Texas with the old box seat) and the winch i had installed on her. i am up to 3 deuces and a M1028 with a maintance bed. i have almost as many projects as you.
have a great day
kevin

Attachments

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
... thought how nice the trip was with a springer, unlike the drive from Georgia to Texas with the old box seat...
I wouldn't have made it from Georgia to Texas! My M185 had a box seat when I picked it up from Ft Sam. Due to back/leg injuries from a 'non'-standard' helicopter landing in the Marines back in antiquity, sitting straight up causes me a lot of pain. I made it about 50 miles and was seriously considering abandoning the truck on the shoulder of the highway, but I squirmed around and found an almost not-painful driving position where I could j-u-s-t see over the dash (felt like I should have tiny gold rims and a thumping stereo) and made it home.

While I liked the storage box under the seat, in short order, and through the kind auspices of Pawnshop and Reloader64, I had a springer seat installed. Much better! :beer:

Okay, sorry Robert, hijacking divergence from your thread topic now veering back on track....
Looking forward to seeing the radar truck finished. [thumbzup]

Cheers

historyfanatics

The Quad project has bogged down a bit due to the heat. I hope to get it back up and going shortly. The truck is at the Museum, although they moved it from under the cover where I was working on it to out in the weather. I learned I need a new wiring harness, and am waiting on that to get here.

The radar van is just another one of those crazy 3AM ideas. I wanted something for my dad to play with that he can talk about. My real fun is in the research.

I looked at the M109 in San Antonio. It would have been correct for a lot of what I needed. Escept that I would have had to re-roof it. And, that's more than I can do right now.

I like the trucK! Glad you were able to make use of the springer seat.

Darwin T

i think that was the one that i almost bought in january. i bought my 3rd deuce and put a down on that one. rented a car loaded up my tow bar and headed to corpus christi to pickup my 3rd (M35a2) duece. drove it to san antonio to get a forth (M109a3) for the box and found out it had a bad roof also (like mine) so it would not help. got my deposit back :D the truck was sound and ran good but i needed the box. so i patched my roof with bed liner and mesh tape after wire brushing and osfo. no more leaks :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks