• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 restoration

fpchief

I am inthe middle of a resto also. Does anyone know if the sheet metal flooring is welded all the way around on the outside? I have all the wood up and cut each bolt from above and knocked them out. The sheetmetal is the next challenge. I am thinking I will have to grind all the way around. Btw, pink PFD is my knee cushion!!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

peashooter

I am inthe middle of a resto also. Does anyone know if the sheet metal flooring is welded all the way around on the outside? I have all the wood up and cut each bolt from above and knocked them out. The sheetmetal is the next challenge. I am thinking I will have to grind all the way around. Btw, pink PFD is my knee cushion!!!

On my 109 the sheet metal floor is stitch welded to each and every crossmember in addition to the sides. I ended up keeping my sheet metal floor and painted it with POR15

fpchief

On my 109 the sheet metal floor is stitch welded to each and every crossmember besides in addition to the sides. I ended up keeping my sheet metal floor and painted it with POR15
Gotcha. I wish I had that luxury. Mine is too bad. Thanks for the reply!!

USAFNB

@fpchief - Second on the stitch welds... could you cut out bad and stitch in new panels? I ended up doing that and then using POR15 to seal the panels...it seemed to work well. My box is getting removed eventually to make a shop at my property and I will replace it with a drop side bed. hope your restoration goes well!

Nick

fpchief

@fpchief - Second on the stitch welds... could you cut out bad and stitch in new panels? I ended up doing that and then using POR15 to seal the panels...it seemed to work well. My box is getting removed eventually to make a shop at my property and I will replace it with a drop side bed. hope your restoration goes well!

Nick
I had bad rust areas over the entire floor so I went into it figuring on an entire cutout. I just got finished removing all of the floor. A air hammer worked really good on the stitch welds. Will clean it up with a grinder tomorrow and treat the crossmembers. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

rustystud

I had bad rust areas over the entire floor so I went into it figuring on an entire cutout. I just got finished removing all of the floor. A air hammer worked really good on the stitch welds. Will clean it up with a grinder tomorrow and treat the crossmembers. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

Looking good !

USAFNB

Finished the wiper mod today, I borrowed this idea from another SS member. I used
Anco 4763 Wiper Arm Adapter and took off the military hook end. The Anco adapter for right over the factory arm and I used a machine screw to secure in place like the
military end did. Super excited to get this on my truck, as well as my other 2.5 and 5 ton truck. Adapter was a little pricey at $8 but worth it. Super painless mod.
IMG_20190101_191429794_LL.jpg
IMG_20181231_160925421_LL.jpg

USAFNB

Finished painting for the winter...it's hitting -20s here in Ohio and then warming up to 40. Obviously this state has lost its mind. Truck turned out pretty good, I will still need a 2nd coat before I call it done. For now I am collecting up new axle seals, rubber brake lines and other parts for a full drive train service at first thaw.

I've also decided to swap on a hard top.
IMG_20190209_140845906_HDR.jpgIMG_20190209_140800218_HDR.jpg

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you do the hard top swap? Two burly men and lots of grunting or front loader help? Did you assemble it on the truck or put the whole thing on in one go?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks