• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 trailer Conversion thread

vinny-socom1

I have an extra 105 axle with springs for sale!!! $40.00 and its yours!!! I'm going with the 10bolt axles so my truck spare will work for both!! Plus I think the tandum 53" tires will look good too.

Vinny

ohnuts

It should look like this. I have an M185A3, if i take off the front and turn it into a camper. That will cut my insurance by one truck. Only thing is I love old hardware and cutting is tuff. Thinking about selling the M35A2 for a 5Ton that can pull at highway speeds.

Question how well do these monster campers stop behind a truck without working brakes on the axles?

Attachments

Last edited:

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I plan to put a complete brake system from a M200 trailer on the conversion , even add an extra air tank and master cyl. Something we`ll have to play with and work out.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Food for thought on brakes. The M295 chassis has a nearly identical suspension system as the deuce. For brakes it uses the standard relay valve as found on the M105 trailers. After the relay valve the system splits in 2 and separate air lines run to separate chambers which actuate separate master cylinders. Each axle has its own brake system only sharing air. Here's the neat thing, the chamber and master cylinders are the exact same as the M105 so to the folks that chop up these M105s, keep all that brake stuff. For all you folks who built the handy dandy brake bleeder, it's easily adapted to the 105 master cylinders. Just ask and I'll show you how.

vinny-socom1

Well when I add the commercial axles I plan on using the air brake set up so all I will need to do is extend the hoses to the tongue and add gladhands.

Vinny

vinny-socom1

It should look like this. I have an M185A3, if i take off the front and turn it into a camper. That will cut my insurance by one truck. Only thing is I love old hardware and cutting is tuff. Thinking about selling the M35A2 for a 5Ton that can pull at highway speeds.

Question how well do these monster campers stop behind a truck without working brakes on the axles?

anymore pics of this set up??

Vinny

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I plan to have a M C to each side using shared air to the valves. I have 2 M Cs . they should be pretty esay to mount and hook up.

Pics will be posted when we install the tongue on Friday at John Winslows. Take a very easy , careful ,safe trip home where all the finishing touches will be done.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a MC for each side and one fails, you will only have brakes on one side. Would this cause problems during crisis braking?

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Good question. This is/will be a feel as you go thing. I plan to test in a good area such as a field or just jack it up and apply brakes. I will leave plenty of stopping distance the way people pull in front of you these days and mount the M Cs where the fluid can be checked every time I pull the trailer.

Do you think I would be better off with 1 M C?

All help and ideas are greatly appreciated (SP) ?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
2 master cylinders is great but I'd have a master for each axle, not each side. At least that way in the event of a failure in one hydraulic system, you will still have the other axle to assist in stopping.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neil,
Both you and Chris should consider putting two MC's in, but do one per axle, so you don't lose all brakes on any one side. One to the front, one to the back axle of the pair and you have a poor man's split system, at least on the trailer! 2cents

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you go to Winslow's, check out some of the trailers he has. He had a bunch of the trailers that use the M295 chassis (M447, M749, M750 and M313). All of these have everything you need to make a 1st class system for the 109 trailer. All of the stuff is common with the M105 too. If you had one relay valve and 2 chamber/ master assys, you would have all the hard parts you need.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a M200 and a M105 system to use. But I do like the one on each axle idea. Now if we could have a rally in my back yard we could have a work day. I`ll furnish the beer. but if we do beer the 109 might get turned upside down .:-D

alexace

I can't remember the model, but I saw a 10 ton flat bed trailer with a standard pintle hitch and 11r20s, looked like it would be perfect to throw an m109 box on top of. It looked made for a 5 ton truck to pull it. I think the model was like an m345 or an m235 or something like that. I'll try to find it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks