• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 van body rust repair

Z71

I have the usual issues with my M109 - there is some rust on the top where the individual sheet metal plates overlap and are riveted together. what is the best way to repair the rust? Anybody know of a good place here in
Florida that does competent rust repairs on these vehicles? Mine is not too bad, but it has gotten markedly worse in the last few years. I keep the truck under a carport at all times.
I might be interested in buying a nice rust free van body if someone has one for sale (within reasonable distance).

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might be interested in buying a nice rust free van body if one exists on this planet.
There, fixed that for you.

Seems they all have a level of rust, mine had gaping holes in it, sand, cut, replace, weld, etc till you are happy with it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you do not feel like welding, you could make a patch and rivet it in place. Make sure to cut out the cancer and use some seam sealer. Then paint it. You might want to look into spraying it with a bed liner material or one of the elastomeric rv roof coatings.

Z71

There, fixed that for you.

Seems they all have a level of rust, mine had gaping holes in it, sand, cut, replace, weld, etc till you are happy with it.
Yes, I meant"relatively" rust free body. Mine was actually pretty nice when I got the truck, but over the years it deteriorated here in Florida.

Z71

If you do not feel like welding, you could make a patch and rivet it in place. Make sure to cut out the cancer and use some seam sealer. Then paint it. You might want to look into spraying it with a bed liner material or one of the elastomeric rv roof coatings.
Thanks, what I did for now, removed the rust scale and coated the seams with elastomeric flashing compound. That should work for a while until I can do more permanent repairs.

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was the opposite, totally rusted out but after some repairs and the truck being in the dry climate of Palm Springs, no "new" rust has appeared.