• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109 Vent Fan specs

zoom

I was trying to repair my M109 van vent fan on the rear of the body, but the interior paint completely conceals any (would be) spec plate. What voltage and amperage does the stock motor draw? Is there an off-the-shelf replacement from NAPA or Autozone? Whats the part number?

Part two of my question focuses on the stock converter that is mounted on the front wall of the van body interior. It has a switch for 110V or 24V. Is this converting 24V to 110? Which wires are the input and outputs?

Thanks for any and all help/guidance!

Katahdin

I can barely make out "24V DC" in painted yellow letters under the foam green overspray on the motor housing on mine. Maker is XXXXX & Myers Inc. (Can't make out the first name)

Since mine runs off the deuce batteries just fine I'll deduce that the box/switch towards the front of the van is a 110 AC to 24V DC transformer that's only used when the box is plugged into a AC generator and you want to use that as the power source instead of the batteries.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That fan doesn't do squat. Don't mess with trying to fix it. Its a better noise maker than anything else.

peashooter

Did you ever figure out what the amperage pull was from the motor? I'm tearing out all the electrical boxes in mine and doing it over since I added so much extra stuff for the camper conversion. Anyway I'm getting rid of that big nasty transformer box and am just trying to figure out how big of a 110 to 24vdc power supply I'll need to run stuff and the vent fan is the only unknown I have. Thanks for any help

Emmett

I will look at mine later today. I'm still trying to figure out how to hook up the mulitfuel heater!
I also agree that the vent fan dosen't do much but make a lot of noise.

islandguydon

24vdc, Zout is right about the noise pollution, If your going to replace it W.W.Graingers has a few with backward incline blade squirrel cages as a direct replacement that are much quieter and 24vdc.

peashooter

24vdc, Zout is right about the noise pollution, If your going to replace it W.W.Graingers has a few with backward incline blade squirrel cages as a direct replacement that are much quieter and 24vdc.
thanks for the suggestion. You dont happen to know what the model numbers are do you? I wasnt able to find any backward incline blower setups in 24vdc from grainger, or mcmaster for that matter.

islandguydon

OK, I will look it up. Hold on.

EDIT: My bad, the fans are in-line duct blowers, 4" intake and exhaust, plastic and I don't know what I was thinking.

This will not work for your application. I will keep looking for you.

Last edited:

3dAngus

Someone had the vent fan on the classifieds recently.

There is a 24vdc lighting system, with blackout switch on the door, and a 115vac lighting system, with blackout switch on the door. IN my case, the 24vdc also runs a water pump for a shower and sink. The exhaust fan is 24vdc. The 24vdc can draw from the engine batteries through a 24vdc connector if desired. Not recommended useage except in emergencies. There is at115vac transformer to 24vdc w/full wave bridge rectifier to convert ac to dc for multiple uses, giving relief to batteries when an ac source is available.

Here's a couple of simplified wiring schematics of the box. Reference TM 9-2320-209-20-2-2 figure 27-3

Attachments

Emmett

There is no data plate on my blower so I hooked up and amp-probe.
24VDC at 2.3 amps on high. I can assume that it takes 150% for start-up.

If you considered voltage drop and other varibles, 4 amps would give you a comfort zone.

peashooter

There is no data plate on my blower so I hooked up and amp-probe.
24VDC at 2.3 amps on high. I can assume that it takes 150% for start-up.

If you considered voltage drop and other varibles, 4 amps would give you a comfort zone.

Thanks for taking the time to measure it for me. I tried to do that myself last night but wasnt able to get my meter to work with current for some reason (probably operator error:)) I'll probably go with a 10amp power supply then to be able to run the fan, water pump (sink/shower), and the other momentary 24vdc items on my truck. Thanks again for your effort, I really appreciate it!

135gmc

The last time I checked, one of these fans pulls about 4 amps at 28 VDC (charging voltage for the truck). The power supply should be about 10 amps output. Do a web search for truck heater blowers or school bus heaters - it would be about the same thing. If you want 24 volt accessories - lights, blowers, pumps, etc, check for marine equipment for boats (www.westmarine.com).

Emmett

Thanks for that imput. I believe in the above posts that 4 amps was figured out and that he is going to use a 10 amp power supply.
No, a school bus heater is nothing like a M109 multifuel heater. Believe it or not, my google works and I have spent a lot of time with several schematics to get the multifuel heater wired up...about the same is not what I am looking for.

It's all about hooking it up to the converter box and exterrior fuel pump. I really don't want a "it's good enough" installiation but rather a genuine USGI installiation.

Katahdin

Has anyone thought of using the fan transformer as a 24 Volt charger for the truck batteries? I think that's what I'm going to end up doing with mine. I figure it might be a handy use if you're in the bush camping and the batteries got depleted but you have a small AC generator that plugs into the box wiring. It also would be good for topping off the batteries when a shore AC line is available.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks