• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097 HMMWV steering problem!

Deven534

hey guys. i got a M1097 HMMWV with 6.2L engine. something is going wrong with this thing and cant really pinpoint what it is. when you want to steer sharp left or right, the wheels lock up. feels like front are locking up, when it locks up, i can give it more gas and the tires will chirp. i jacked it up and steered left and right with engine running and without ir running, the wheels were not locking up then...so it seems that it only does it when there is a load on it. i can drive straight and turn slightly just fine. one of my buddies said try replacing the power steering pump, so i did that and i still have the same problem. does anyone know any other troubleshooting procedures i can do to figure this out? im stumped...thank you for looking!

P.S. i also flushed the transfer case and put new fluid in and checked linkage, all appears fine. Could this possibly be an issue with steering gear??

Stonepicker1

Damage to drivetrain will occur if transfer case ranges are not selected properly.
Recommended Shift Lever Position for pavement.
"H" (high range)

Transfer case shift lever
is used to select vehicle driving range, “L” (low
range), “N” (neutral), “H” (high range), and “H/L” (high lock range).

Last edited:

dilvoy

H "hight differentiated" is for use on hard roads. You may fight a bit of friction from the differential in the T Case, but it will be nothing like being in HL "high locked" where you can be stopped by the binding.

jwaller

Make sure you are actually in H and not HL. HL is high lock and will bark the tires on any turn made that is on a hard surface. HL is for offroad loose soil only.

The HMMWV is full time 4wd.

Stonepicker1

How about this statement:

The Hummer has a full-time system with additional features that can be engaged for enhanced off-road performance. In this system, just as in our basic system, the transmission is hooked up to the transfer case. From the transfer case, one driveshaft connects to the front axle and one to the rear axle. However, the transfer case on the Hummer does not automatically lock the front and rear axles together. Instead, it contains a set of open-differential gears that can be locked by the driver. In open mode (not locked), the front and rear axles can move at different speeds, so the vehicle can drive on dry roads with no problem. When the differential is locked, the front and rear axles each have access to the engine's torque.

Deven534

so whats the proper procedure for changing transfer case ranges? put in neutral, then shift transfer? after switching the range for transfer case, do you have to put it in reverse at all before you it locks in? because ive had it before when i would change from H/L to H and i would put it in D and start moving and it would still act like it was in H/L.....

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive backwards to unlock....I do this on any and all trucks I own when going from any lock setting....my H1 will not unlock from low lock unless I backup about 5-10ft.
i rarely need to change tcase lock settings,even when I'm off road...maybe I'm not wheeling hard enough....lol

but just cause you leave hard pack is no need to change tcase setting....mud, sand, snow is different story.

TedG

Deven534,
At the top of this page there is a tab for Technical Manuals. For the HMMWV, please read the TM 9-2320-280-10 Chapter 2-11. PLACING VEHICLE IN MOTION. It will answer you question about how the shifters work. It is always best to get the info from a published TM than possibly damaging your nice HMMWV or worse.

Good luck!

Makis96

Hi, just wondering if you are braking in the turn then giving it gas? These vehicles have brake pedal modulation so when you press the brake and the gas it locks the diff just like 4 wheel drive. Hope this helps.
Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks