• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 New Temperature Gauge Not working.

MCQaz

Howdy Guys,
Working on my Humvee today. Installed new Temperature gauge. (mine was missing)
Wired correctly connected to 33A and 27G as per the electrical schematics but it did not work when switched on.
I have attached a pic of the device in the schematics for your reference. The problem is that there is no continuity through wire between 33B and 33A. (I verified this with a meter) Schematic shows additional plug connector between 33b (which is connected to the sensor) and 33A (which plugs directly into the back of the gauge) Somewhere between those two points, there is another connector that I am unable to locate. (circled in diagram) Does anyone know where it might be located? I have an Arizona vehicle and corrosion is not an issue. With that in mind, the only thing that makes sense is that plug is disconnected. My wiring harness and all electrical connectors have been in excellent condition so far and I am trying to avoid breaking into the wire loom if at all possible.
Let me know if anyone has been into this. TempGauge.jpg

Last edited:

MCQaz

Haven't heard anything back yet. Has anyone had this issue or am I the only one?
Just trying to find out where the physical connection between wires 33A & 33B is located.
Anyone?

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The physical location is right under the dog house cover at the back of the engine. That's the connection between the 'E'ngine harness and the 'B'ody harness.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can ohm out the wire to see if it is open or not, you can also ground the sensor connection on the gauge, shorted to ground it will read full scale to one side and open will read full scale the other direction, this is true of all analog gauges, some will read max shorted others when open but it is a sure fire way to test the gauge, also are you sure you have 24V to the 27G and the case of the gauge is grounded?

MCQaz

You can ohm out the wire to see if it is open or not, you can also ground the sensor connection on the gauge, shorted to ground it will read full scale to one side and open will read full scale the other direction, this is true of all analog gauges, some will read max shorted others when open but it is a sure fire way to test the gauge, also are you sure you have 24V to the 27G and the case of the gauge is grounded?
I have already ohmed it out. It is definitely open. ("OL" on my meter) Looking in the schematic it shows another connection between the temp sensor and the gauge. I am looking for that connection. If the drawing is correct, it should be another Packard connector. Need to find that connector to verify it is connected.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The physical location is right under the dog house cover at the back of the engine. That's the connection between the 'E'ngine harness and the 'B'ody harness.
The sender for the gage is under the alternator.....one wire connection.

MCQaz

The sender for the gage is under the alternator.....one wire connection.
Thanks, for your help but I already know where the sender is.
If you read my first post, you would know that I am looking for the connection point between 33A and 33B. You can see the connector in the drawing attached to my post. I have an open wire between the sender and the gauge. I need to find that connection point. Any Idea where it might be?

TruckGuy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave you the location of the connector in my first reply, post #3. It's under the dog house cover, back of the engine. Easily accessible setting in the driver seat.

MCQaz

I gave you the location of the connector in my first reply, post #3. It's under the dog house cover, back of the engine. Easily accessible setting in the driver seat.
You were right! Thanks.
I thought I had checked all those wires aready. Turns out the wires were unplugged exactly as suspected. The wire connected to the sending unit actually had the wrong tag on it. Looked like 68A but was difficult to read. Was suspect because it looked like it had been replaced at one point and did not match the other tags. So I disconnected the other end from the sending unit to ring it out to verify it. The other end was disconnected and was tied off. This was part of a bundle of loose wires that I tied up temporally to install a US Shift Quick 2 transmission control unit from Black Dog Customs. My Humvee was missing the Transmission controller upon delivery, so I went this route to get her back up again.
Thanks Again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks