• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 stop light issue

Gregory.cox3

Hello,

as you can tell by the title I’m having issues with my humvee stop lights. The blinkers and four way works but the brake lights do not come on. I’ve tried everything from changing the bulbs, changing out the entire light, changing the light switch, and changing the brake switch.I’m thinking it’s either the solid state flasher, the turn signal switch or there may be issues with The wiring. Any ideas?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would focus on the brake light switch. It causes headaches. The report that your 4 ways works rules out the bulb filaments, lamp grounds. You should have the dual brake light switch. Are you sure it is connected correctly? Is the linkage set up right? Put your ohmmeter on the switch and see if it changes state when you press on the brake.

Gregory.cox3

I would focus on the brake light switch. It causes headaches. The report that your 4 ways works rules out the bulb filaments, lamp grounds. You should have the dual brake light switch. Are you sure it is connected correctly? Is the linkage set up right? Put your ohmmeter on the switch and see if it changes state when you press on the brake.
I’ll give it a try. I’m sure I got the brake switch correctly adjusted but I’ll take another look at it and see how it goes

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ll give it a try. I’m sure I got the brake switch correctly adjusted but I’ll take another look at it and see how it goes
Another thing to do if you don't have a helper is a small jumper wire. Jump it from one pin to the other on the stop light switch. If the brake lights come on, then the problem is in the adjustment or the maybe the wiring.

papakb

This should be moved to the HMMWV Forum.

The switch and linkage AM General used came off of the M151 where it was also a crappy design. The incandescent lamps draw so much current that over time the switch contacts arc away leaving you without brake lights with everything else working. Sound familiar?

The pedal linkage has no free travel adjustment in it so your stuck trying to adjust the switch position where the lights come on without standing the truck up on it's nose. My solution was to install a waterproof, normally closed switch that turns the lights on as soon as the pedal lever comes off the stop.

Adding LED lights removes the current draw and keeps the new switch alive longer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks