• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097A2 trans control module

406Matt

Good day,

I'm new to the scene, and like any noob I come with baggage.

Specifically I need a TCM and relay for my new HMMWV (pics below).

I've done some googling, and it seems I'm about to part ways with roughly $600. But before doing so I have a couple potentially stupid questions....

Inside the green box that is the TCM, is that just a standard 4l80e control module? Because those can be had at a junkyard for next to nothing.

Could a guy get his hands on the cannon plug that adapts the chassis harness to the tcm inside the green box? And if so has anyone done this in the past?

Does anyone have a parts diagram for the tcm? I can't find it in the tm's.

Is all of this just a stupid rabbit hole? Would it be better to just spend the $500 or so on a tcm?

It's just a little unsettling to me that none of the surplus miltary parts are guaranteed, or even returnable. This is the first of many problems that I'm sure I'll have to tackle. And I'd like to do it as smart as possible.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

Matt20230604_152338.jpg20230604_152321.jpgTCM-PCMlatestylepic9_1024x1024@2x.png

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome,
Nobody that I am aware of has made a homemade adapter for the TCM. The TCM was only used in 1 year (I recall 1993) GM vehicles with 6.2 diesel and 4L80E, so finding this in a junkyard will be a challenge. Quite a few folks on here are parting out auction trucks, suggest you run a parts wanted ad.

406Matt

Only in '93?
Screenshot_20230604_220402_Drive.jpg

Now don't get me wrong. Years in the tm's have literally given me nightmares. But it's much different when uncle sam is paying for the parts.

It just gives me anxiety because it seems so simple, yet so complicated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consensus here seems to be the TCMs are basically interchangeable over the years. They have different flashes based on GVW of the truck they are intended for. Pin out is the same.
You said you could find TCMs in a junk yard, since there are no HMMWV junk yards, I assumed you meant commercial vehicle junk yard.s. Only 1993 GM 6.5 diesel vehicles with 4L80E used the TCM found in the HMMWV waterproof box.

406Matt

Good to know that they're "basically interchangeable". I've got some feelers out to a couple of surplus suppliers. The bummer is I'm sure there's a warehouse or motorpool somewhere that has a billion of these collecting dust on a shelf. Why they cost $500 is beyond me, but whatever I just want to go for a rip in my new toy. Thanks for the help NDT.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They don’t call these “High Maintenance Money Wasting Vehicles” for no reason. Hey you can rip around in limp mode second gear if you want. TCM not needed for that.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Mobile, I previewed 100 1097's of all flavors from Red River earlier in the year. There was one truck that had dozens of these controlers in the boxes in the back of the bed. All the trucks had stuff thrown in them but when they come up for auction are "cleaned" up. I am sure all these gizmos ended up in a scrap dumpster...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks