• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097R1 from GovtPlanet has arrived

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was pretty easy getting things done through the auction process. Won auction on 9/14 and it shows up from Chambersburg, PA to my residence in Georgia on 10/7. I imagine I'll be waiting some time for the Montana title to show up based on other's reported experiences.
It was delivered to a church parking lot near my home since my neighborhood was too difficult for the driver to navigate. Got to drive it that distance which was ver cool. I didn't push it but it seemed to be very "sluggish", or not very responsive to the accelerator. It also makes a squeal at times when turning the steering wheel. Right front tire is low on air and I noticed some cracking of the rubber when up close. The damage to the hood was expected. However, upon close examination, there is also damage to the aluminum body at left front fender well. Not sure how I'm going to repair that. Wondering if the body is available in sections and I can cut the bad one out and rivet new part in place. I'm really excited about this adventure and paranoid at the same time. I don't have any experience with diesel and I don't have the garage space or a lot of tools needed to work on this thing.

Oil is right at "need to fill line" and is black.
Power steering looks like borderline low and might be cause of steering making a squeal noise.
Brakes are very responsive.
Tranny fluid looks to be in good condition
When I connect the battery jumper box to start the truck it starts right up. dead batteries - they were installed in 2018

I promised my wife to help with the Halloween decorations. So the truck will have to sit for another week or so before I can start working on it.
B68E3768-AE29-430C-ADEC-3008BFDA1D73_1_105_c.jpegA05071CA-8521-403C-8463-0B4F0B14DD98_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In this set of pics, you can see the damage to the aluminum on the wheel well by the hood. Also windshield border trim has some screws missing. Not sure what the two holes above passenger side glass are for.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sluggish feeling does not go away:rolleyes:
The belts are probably loose, even when tight they tend to squeal at steering lock and at speed when the fan kicks in.
While you wait replace all fluids, filters and tires to start.
That damage might be repairable, if not I would thnk that body panel would be available.

Last edited:

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That sluggish feeling does not go away:rolleyes:
Too early to pass judgement but it feels like something is wrong. I have a 115HP CJ7 that would blow by this humvee in a race. But I will admit, I don't have any idea on what to expect with this truck. I still need to clean out the air filter and probably replace fuel filter among other things before I pass judgement.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too early to pass judgement but it feels like something is wrong. I have a 115HP CJ7 that would blow by this humvee in a race. But I will admit, I don't have any idea on what to expect with this truck. I still need to clean out the air filter and probably replace fuel filter among other things before I pass judgement.
That TH400 is a great transmission for a 400+HP truck but sucks up a significant amount of the 150HP you have just to get it rolling, a very inefficient transmission.
Nice looking truck, nice that you got doors and some nice additions like the brush guard!

badger_610889

Congrats on your truck, it will look great once the couple issues are fixed.
There ALWAYS are surprises receiving a HMMWV from auction and that's probably part of the experience to fix it and this way make it yours :)
Parts are easy to get. They get pricer nowadays but it's still cheaper than maintaining a civilian pickup truck. Start with flushing all the fluids (no exception) especially coming from PA and not knowing how long it's been stored there will likely be moisture in hubs and differential.
Check all tightenings and belt tension as well.
My M1123 was far from being perfect when I got it, and after just a day of doing this it was handling like a new truck!

Autonomy_Lost

If its sluggish could be the transmission not shifting at the right times. There is a linkage cable behand the doghouse that you can adjust if need be. My m998 had that issue, the cable was stretched over time and it was starting in second gear. Tightened it up and its like it gained 50hp.

oildriller

My 1097R1 is having a similar issue- feels sluggish, the engine seems to be fighting against something. I've received lots of good suggestions on this forum, but haven't nailed it down yet.

Does it run hot? If so, check brakes and e brake ( this is what I'm doing once i get home from offshore). the e brake can be adjusted and is sometimes too tight.

Could be fuel filter or injection pump. i'm currently running a new tank of diesel with system cleaner in it.

i like the suggestion about the transmission not shifting correctly. I'll have to find the cable and give it an adjustment. i guess the question then becomes is it sluggish from a dead stop? if so, not likely shifting errors.

after that, i don't know....

transmission, hubs, differentials....

good luck!

royg

They are underpowered and sluggish beasts. That said, It took me months to realize the parking brake on my first hmmwv with a TH400 was set way too tight. I was releasing the brake before moving, but it was constantly applied & dragging. (you can tighten/loosen by turning the knob that is the top of the lever)

Check your transfer case is actually shifting and you're in the gear you think you're in. is it stuck in low?

The end-all to know if something is amiss with yours is to find another owner/drive another rig to compare.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typically the blue force tracker antenna is mounted on a box on the windshield pillar but usually centered also the holes look too far spaced apart for it....

Could be this mount on epay from beltfeds-l500.jpg

INFChief

Did you find out what caused it to be sluggish? How does it rev up out of gear and sitting? I’m wondering if it’s just sluggish while in motion? Just spit-balling but is the fan clutch stuck on? That shouldn’t make it creep like a dog - but maybe creates a load? Is it more of a transmission sluggish issue than engine?

BruDogGA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had much time to mess with it. I'm going to send it to a mechanic for an inspection once I replace my hood. But I may hold off on that right now as they made a mistake on my title. The sf97 was coming my way and they flagged it with Fedex to return it because they realized I paid for the title. So the title actually shows up today and they somehow screwed that up by making it a 2008 model HMMWV. It's actually a 1995 model. I wanted one over 25 years old so it would be exempt from emissions testing and I could therefore title it for on road use. I called them and they said "that's the way the gov't titled it and there's nothing we can do". I said "well I've got about $25k invested in something I cannot drive and that is a problem". So the rep is trying to get in touch with her manager. They better fix this.

Last edited:
I haven't had much time to mess with it. I'm going to send it to a mechanic for an inspection once I replace my hood. But I may hold off on that right now as they made a mistake on my title. The sf97 was coming my way and they flagged it with Fedex to return it because they realized I paid for the title. So the title actually shows up today and they somehow screwed that up by making it a 2008 model HMMWV. It's actually a 1995 model. I wanted one over 25 years old so it would be exempt from emissions testing and I could therefore title it for on road use. I called them and they said "that's the way the gov't titled it and there's nothing we can do". I said "well I've got about $25k invested in something I cannot drive and that is a problem". So the rep is trying to get in touch with her manager. They better fix this.
if the title issue isn’t fixed yet you may be able to contact AM General and get a letter with date of manufacture. I had to do that with my “2009” M1123 that is actually a 2002.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks