• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1097R1

Sandog

Hello everyone, I just picked up my first humvee. It’s a M1097R1 re fitted in 2007. It hat the 6.5 N/A diesel engine in it and the motor is completely locked up. Looking for advice that is budget friendly. I know a lot of people are doing Duramax swaps… not in my budget at this time. Do I pull and rebuild my 6.5 N/A or do I find a 6.5 turbo diesel to put in it? I’ve been looking and the 6.5 turbo motors out of a Chevy express seem to be what I should be looking for. Can someone please help with best options, and if I go the 6.5 turbo route what years do I look for and will a truck motor work or does it need to be from a van? Again thank you for all the advice I really appreciate it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First step would be figuring out exactly why it's locked up and going from there.
A little water/rust in the cylinder keeping it from turning over can be cleaned up and you could have a running truck with not much additional money.
If you're handy with tools, well, you're probably going to have to pull the motor anyway, so getting it out and on a stand and removing the heads is a good start to see cylinder condition, or even just pull the heads while it's in the truck and see what's going on. Water in the cylinders is the most likely culprit to prevent it turning over, so as long as the idiots at the auction yard didn't crank it over hard onto a hydrolocked cylinder and it hasn't been sitting with water for too long, you're probably okay.
If it's water signs, then soaking everything in marvel mystery oil for a few days or weeks might just free it up.
Most likely you'll have a GEP block from a 2007 rebuild, and those are better than pretty much any of the GM blocks were, so it it's salvageable I'd use it for the rebuild.

Truck motor won't work with a turbo, because the turbo is in the wrong location and the frame of the HMMWV is in the way. It has to be a van motor for it to work.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug pretty much covered it, not a good idea to look for a civy engine as they are likely all worn out and they never had the GEP engine which was much improved, you are correct that the van (express) had the center mount turbo.
If you find your engine is not economically repairable try to source a good used GEP engine.
The difference between the NA and turbo engine is marginal at best so don't get hung up on having to get the turbo engine.
The turbo conversion has its hidden costs, the doghouse alone will set you back over $500

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Coug pretty much covered it, not a good idea to look for a civy engine as they are likely all worn out and they never had the GEP engine which was much improved, you are correct that the van (express) had the center mount turbo.
If you find your engine is not economically repairable try to source a good used GEP engine.
The difference between the NA and turbo engine is marginal at best so don't get hung up on having to get the turbo engine.
The turbo conversion has its hidden costs, the doghouse alone will set you back over $500
......wiring harnes, cut tunnel, tunnel brackets, lift body.....
And most likely he still got the 3 speeds transmission.

Sandog

First step would be figuring out exactly why it's locked up and going from there.
A little water/rust in the cylinder keeping it from turning over can be cleaned up and you could have a running truck with not much additional money.
If you're handy with tools, well, you're probably going to have to pull the motor anyway, so getting it out and on a stand and removing the heads is a good start to see cylinder condition, or even just pull the heads while it's in the truck and see what's going on. Water in the cylinders is the most likely culprit to prevent it turning over, so as long as the idiots at the auction yard didn't crank it over hard onto a hydrolocked cylinder and it hasn't been sitting with water for too long, you're probably okay.
If it's water signs, then soaking everything in marvel mystery oil for a few days or weeks might just free it up.
Most likely you'll have a GEP block from a 2007 rebuild, and those are better than pretty much any of the GM blocks were, so it it's salvageable I'd use it for the rebuild.

Truck motor won't work with a turbo, because the turbo is in the wrong location and the frame of the HMMWV is in the way. It has to be a van motor for it to work.
I pulled oil pan and glow plugs. Injected tons of marvel mystery oil through all glow plug holes! It has sat for over 3 weeks and it won’t budge. Honestly I think I have a better chance of breaking the nut off the shaft before moving the pistons. Looking from underneath all cylinders are rusty except 1. Oil looked good, no water/coolant in it and coolant wasn’t low. I would love to get this one to where but it’s starting to look doubtful. If I go with the 6.5 turbo out of a van do I get the 4speed transmission with it or will that motor mate up to the 3 speed in the humvee?

Reactions: OBX

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled oil pan and glow plugs. Injected tons of marvel mystery oil through all glow plug holes! It has sat for over 3 weeks and it won’t budge. Honestly I think I have a better chance of breaking the nut off the shaft before moving the pistons. Looking from underneath all cylinders are rusty except 1. Oil looked good, no water/coolant in it and coolant wasn’t low. I would love to get this one to where but it’s starting to look doubtful. If I go with the 6.5 turbo out of a van do I get the 4speed transmission with it or will that motor mate up to the 3 speed in the Humvee?
The motor will bolt up to the three speed.
If you go with the 4 speed you will have to get it rebuilt (about 2 grand plus another 500 for a diesel torque converter) to add a FWD output shaft (nobody is going to just take it apart and install the shaft) then you will need to buy an aftermarket controller, another $500 then a 4 speed cross member ($?) and replacement drive shafts.
Turbo exhaust system, the for mentioned dog house, replacement floor pieces to fit when you cut out the floor, another $500 for a 4 speed shifter, you will need some misc. pieces to adapt your 200A alt to the serpentine belt system, most likely a water pump and fan + its pulley
Do a body lift, probably forgetting some stuff
So you will need to budget at least 5-6 Grand on top of whatever that worn out van engine will cost you.

If you go with just the worn out GM engine somewhere between 1-2Gs for misc.

Again I would suggest you try and find a good pulled GEP NA engine, it is a far better engine to begin with.

Sandog

The motor will bolt up to the three speed.
If you go with the 4 speed you will have to get it rebuilt (about 2 grand plus another 500 for a diesel torque converter) to add a FWD output shaft (nobody is going to just take it apart and install the shaft) then you will need to buy an aftermarket controller, another $500 then a 4 speed cross member ($?) and replacement drive shafts.
Turbo exhaust system, the for mentioned dog house, replacement floor pieces to fit when you cut out the floor, another $500 for a 4 speed shifter, you will need some misc. pieces to adapt your 200A alt to the serpentine belt system, most likely a water pump and fan + its pulley
Do a body lift, probably forgetting some stuff
So you will need to budget at least 5-6 Grand on top of whatever that worn out van engine will cost you.

If you go with just the worn out GM engine somewhere between 1-2Gs for misc.

Again I would suggest you try and find a good pulled GEP NA engine, it is a far better engine to begin with.
So the most cost effective way it to either get the motor in it running or get it rebuilt and leave everything else alone. I’m not looking for a speed demon I would just like something reliable and hopefully be able to go 60mph

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can do that just fine with a GEP NA, not sure what a rebuild would cost, from what you say it will need boring, new pistons/rings and of course bearings/gaskets, head bolts and likely the heads and IP will need to be gone through.
Not sure what you have in the way of takeouts in your area.
One thing I was thinking about is that van most likely has a DS4 injection pump which will have to go as the HMMWV does not have an ECM

Sandog

You can do that just fine with a GEP NA, not sure what a rebuild would cost, from what you say it will need boring, new pistons/rings and of course bearings/gaskets, head bolts and likely the heads and IP will need to be gone through.
Not sure what you have in the way of takeouts in your area.
One thing I was thinking about is that van most likely has a DS4 injection pump which will have to go as the HMMWV does not have an ECM
Might be a stupid question but ways GEP NA? I’ve been looking for 65 takeouts that people are hopefully pulling, running motors to do duramax or something else swap and I’m not finding anything.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might be a stupid question but ways GEP NA? I’ve been looking for 65 takeouts that people are hopefully pulling, running motors to do duramax or something else swap and I’m not finding anything.
Well GEP because they are a much improved version of the GM built engines and NA because with maybe 30HP difference between the NA and turbo the extra trouble is just not worth it, the NA requires less maint over time. don't get me wrong they are great engines and better for bragging rights but in reality the difference is pretty negligible, now the Dmax is a bigtime game changer. Of course all this is just my opinion and I think worth every penny you paid for it:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Did I read right you are looking for sixty five 6.5L engines o_O

Last edited:

Sandog

Well GEP because they are a much improved version of the GM built engines and NA because with maybe 30HP difference between the NA and turbo the extra trouble is just not worth it, the NA requires less maint over time. don't get me wrong they are great engines and better for bragging rights but in reality the difference is pretty negligible, now the Dmax is a bigtime game changer. Of course all this is just my opinion and I think worth every penny you paid for it:LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:
Did I read right you are looking for sixty five 6.5L engines o_O
Yes, at this point I would love to just find a good running 6.5 NA to swap with the one in it.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
W

Whats GEP NA
GEP stands for General Engine Products.
They are the ones that took over manufacturing the 6.5 engine when GM discontinued it. Same design, but improved metallurgy to deal with the heat soak issue potentially causing cracking in the rear cylinders.
GM stopped production around 2000, so anything with a newer date code than that (found on the passenger side of the block to the rear of the cylinder head; it can be seen with the doghouse cover removed) or if it has the Navistar diamond in the engine valley (kind of hard to see with everything installed)

NA is short for Naturally Aspirated, or a fancy way of saying a non-turbo motor.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Eastern Surplus in Philly has running take-out 6.5 NA engines. Last I checked, they were going for around $2K, maybe just under. A friend bought an engine from him and they sent him a video of it running. I'd check with Eastern (ask for Bill Peaslee).