• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a 1 1/2 ton trailer help

muad

M109a 1 1/2 ton trailer help -correction M105

I'm looking at picking up a nice military trailer, which I believe is a M109a (Correction, it's a M105). It's in amazing condition, and they are asking $650 with the tarp, or $600 without. He also has another one that is pretty rough for less.

I'm looking to haul wood and other items with this trailer, and as of now I have a 2003 Ford Excursion (F250) with a 6.0L turbo diesel. However, I'm looking into a CUCV as well.

I understand it uses a pintle hook hitch setup, and I think I can get an adapter at the local Tractor Supply.

My questions are this:
1. Will my Excursion or a CUCV pull this unit with a good load of wood without any issues?
2. Do you have to use the Air or hydraulic brakes (Not sure what they are, one guy said Air, other said Hydraulic)?
3. Is this thing really wired for 24V? How can I convert for 12V?
4. Are the wheel bearings, tires, and other parts hard to come by?
5. Is this thing just too much trailer for what I'm trying to do?

The other use for this trailer will be a "bug-out" unit that will hold gear, and act as a possible shelter. I know, but I'd rather be prepared and not need it, then not have it at all!

Any input is appreciated.

God Bless!!!

-Will

Last edited:

fasttruck

This question gets asked every six weeks or so and the answer is usually no: the load is too heavy to pull without brakes which require a 2.5 or 5ton truck to supply the air and the 24 v electric. for the lights. You did say you are planning to move this over public roads didn't you ? Reference # 5: yes. 1; no. 2. yes. 3.yes get new lights & wiringf harness and plug for 12 v. 4, no. 5. yes again

muad

Thanks Sir.

I think I was wrong on the model, it looks like this:
m102trailer.jpg
I think it's a M102. Would you say the same for it?

Last edited:

phil2968

M105, hitch height is to high for a civi pickup. Find a M101 trailer, better suited for pulling behind pickups. The 101s have surge brakes.

Last edited:

KsM715

M105, Yes it to big for what you want to do. They are a handfull empty on a 3/4ton truck. Fill it full of wood and it will push you right through anyone that pulls out in front of you. Without gladhands on the towing vehicle you will not have brakes on the trailer.

Edit: what you want to look for is a M101a2 or a3 emphasis a2/a3. They have surge brakes and are what the the army used behind the CUCV's

Last edited:

muad

M105, Yes it to big for what you want to do. They are a handfull empty on a 3/4ton truck. Fill it full of wood and it will push you right through anyone that pulls out in front of you. Without gladhands on the towing vehicle you will not have brakes on the trailer.
This is what I was looking for. As much as I'd LOVE to own a deuce and a half, I don't see that in the cards. And, from the sounds of it, that's what I'd need at least.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

God Bless!

muad

M105, hitch height is to high for a civi pickup. Find a M101 trailer, better suited for pulling behind pickups. The 101s have surge brakes.
Good looking out.

I only got excited about the M105 as it looks cool, and seemed like it could haul a load of fire wood easily. Plus, someone said I might be able to get the thing for $500 or less; which seems super cheap to me for a good trailer.

I'll look into the M101, thanks!

AaronW

Welcome to the site muad! Stick around long enough and some big green iron might just start to show up in your cards. There is no escape.....

On a side note here.....It's nice to see a new member ask a common question, get some good answers, and thank those that helped him. Phew..I knew it could happen.[thumbzup]

muad

Welcome to the site muad! Stick around long enough and some big green iron might just start to show up in your cards. There is no escape.....

On a side note here.....It's nice to see a new member ask a common question, get some good answers, and thank those that helped him. Phew..I knew it could happen.[thumbzup]
Thanks Aaron.

I'm bad about that too, when the bugs bite, they bite hard. Thinking a CUCV to start, then one day a deuce. The Wife's on board, so I'm ahead of the game already :)

12vman

no doubt........some folks must of been taking a nap