• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Box Floor

clayne2014

Hi, all........was thinking about starting to update the box on my M109. The original wooden sections of flooring looks rough, and is starting to rot in a couple of places. From anybody's experience, is it better to replace all the original wood? Or is it an option to place a couple of layers of plywood down on top of original wood as a sub-floor? i was then thinking of finishing with a layer of linoleum or similar. Any ideas are appreciated and thanks!

Hitman

I bet ya the floor is rusted out under the wood floor I wood take the wood off and look just my 2 cent's mine was

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If the floor is warped, it had water sitting on it. Might want to fix the leaks in the roof before you repair the floor. I had a M109, I really miss it.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently started gutting my box out and it looked solid other than a 6in section , what I found was a 4ft by 4ft patch I'm gonna have to repair in the floor! Also the wood was not only bolted but tarred to the metal ! I had to cut and pry every little section out . Good luck with what you decide .

QUADJEEPER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ended up removing all of my wood floor and also replacing the rear third of the steel sub floor underneath. Laid foam siding insulation down then half inch plywood. Then sheet vinyl. Happy with the results. Check out my build thread if you are interested. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ferrerid=34518

Attachments

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also vote for complete replacement of the wood, and inspection of the metal underneath to determine what's best. The oak flooring on mine looked fine but had a slight creak in one spot when you stepped on it. When I got the boards removed, I swept up 8 gallons of rust prior to removing all the sheet metal.

Fix the water from getting in first so you don't get the same problems again. Then replace it with quality materials that will last. I personally chose new 14 gage steel, phosphotized, primed, and painted, two layers of marine plywood, followed by floor underlayment and then Armstrong brand stick on linoleum tile for easy replacement if I damage one.

Do it right once and you won't have to worry about it in the future.

2013-07-08_21-58-32_891.jpg2013-07-13_21-08-30_555.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks