• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Box

clayne2014

Hi, all. I am contemplating the removal of the box on my M109 so that i can put a bed on it. I have researched the possibility of renting a zoom boom forklift, but will run about $450 for the rental. I was wondering if it would be feasible to attach some chain / rigging to a tree and just pull out from beneath the box (after removing mud flaps). Of course i would have some cribbing stacked up a bit so the box would not fall so far. Has anyone ever tried this or know someone that has?

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
8.jpg14.jpg

I don't remember where on here I found these pictures but one member used heavy duty camper jacks to remove his M109 van body. They are more expensive than $450 from my research though.

I also remember reading about another member who did chain the box to a tree and drive out from under it (after removing the mud flaps and tail lights). Supposedly it worked fine and made a decent shed afterwards.

brasco

View attachment 542128View attachment 542129

I don't remember where on here I found these pictures but one member used heavy duty camper jacks to remove his M109 van body. They are more expensive than $450 from my research though.

I also remember reading about another member who did chain the box to a tree and drive out from under it (after removing the mud flaps and tail lights). Supposedly it worked fine and made a decent shed afterwards.
Right on...something like this is what I was takling about... It could be done the hillbilly way with a couple of 4X6 beams and 4 55 gallon drums.:grd:

sandcobra164

Wish you were closer. I'd offer a bed with fiberglass uprights, bows and a cover in good shape for that box. I like the campers guys make out of the boxes.

61sleepercab

I have switched truck beds in the past and warn you to be very careful because the box is a giant dead fall waiting to squash what ever is near. Pulling out from a bed will drop the box 4 feet???? to the ground and will sure mess up the box. The box could come off the truck sideways and roll. I have used 6x6 timbers and drums to raise beds enough to pull the truck away slowly. Never get anything in a pinch point, your hand, head or other body parts. I would suggest you use a bank to back up to and lay timbers down for bed to slide backwards onto earth. Another option is to back a rollback truck to your truck and jack up box from frame and slip 2x4s across frame rails and winch box to rollback and then lower roll back and pull bed onto ground with timber blocks underneath. Remember that metal to metal surfaces will slide in a heart beat but a layer of wood between metal slows sliding. 2 inch iron pipe makes good crush free rollers but stuff can slide sideways off the rollers. Two or three 2 inch 24 inch wide pipe rollers between two 2x12 timbers will work wonders and if it falls the load only falls 2 inches. Keep well back when things are moving, and if it looks scarey, stop and do it safely. Better to rent a crane than a casket or months of rehab. Mark

icecreamman

I have not ever seen a 109 box in person but have a "redneck who knows people" idea. Is the outer skin steel? If so , pay someone at a large scrapyard with a magnetic crane to remove it and gently sit it on a trailer owned by a buyer.

My first deuce was a former VFD truck with a 1200 gallon low profile flat top tank. I tried to sell the tank locally with no luck. I drove her to the scrapyard and removed six bolts holding the tank on the truck.

About twenty minutes later, the tank was in the air.

quickfarms

This is what we have tons in the past.

Unbolt box

Raise box enough to insert rollers between frame rails and box rails, rollers can be either pipe or round fence posts

Use a flatbed tow truck to pull the box onto the deck

Use the tow truck to place the box on blocks on the ground

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks