• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Camper Fresh water tank Locations?

zout

If you do some hunting on the web - and search for gray/black tanks there are many manufactures listed. They also most list their dimensions of the tanks and durability - thinking of your placement behind the flaps.

(not trying to hijack your thread) This is how I found the holding tank for waste water and septic from the on board custom toilet and shower we have in it. It has a main drain with RV style T valve.

I did build a skid plate system to protect the tank even more from debris impacts. But these are tough tanks.

I saw someone else that did the fit behind the flaps but for the life of me I cannot remember where - it might have been on an expeditionary forum.

135gmc

You have two options - gravity feed, or a pump. If you're going to be using your rig in the winter, maybe an interior water tank set up for gravity feed might be a simple answer - the tank could be built into a cabinet to keep it out of the way. Otherwise, look at a marine tank that could be installed under the truck, maybe in a side mounted "tool box". It could be insulated as well. 24 V water pumps are available from marine dealers, like West marine, or Hamilton marine.

maccus

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Take a look at this outfit for water tanks. When you get through looking at the plumbing stuff go to the home page and check out their other items. A very nice site for a 109 fabricator. Just a note: Remember to install a good propane leak alarm, they are to be mounted low to the floor. You can see mine in the picture of the porta potty, it is the lower unit on the panel on the left next to the furnace outlet .I know you knew that just a reminder. Hate to hear something bad happened.

Plumbing Equipment on Orr & Orr, Inc.?

Last edited:

peashooter

Thanks for all the posts and advice guys. I certainly want as much space in the box as possible. Since I dont plan on doing much camping in the freezing months (if I do I'll just bring my 7 gallon portable water jug with), I was pretty convinced to go with tank(s) under the van box between the frame rails. As with everything price is always a factor as well. So I bought the same tank that LOWTECH was using, its not the cheapest tank but it was the cheapest/largest/highest quality tank I could find that had both a low profile and length under 35" to fit between the frame rails and frame crossmembers.
I did some searches and found some more ideal sized tanks but the cost went up by a factor of 4.
I'm going to use a 15 gallon Valterra ABS tank from JC Whitney (they had the best prices/free shipping). I figured if it ever gets damaged/cracked it will be easy to repair with solvent. The 15 gallon tank is only 8" high and 30" long so I can fit one in the space above the rear axle, and another future one (if I choose) in the space above and infront of the front-rear axle. They are thin enough so full travel of the axles will not cause any interference between anything. I'll probably just add an aluminum shield on the bottom of the tank to give a little protection from any flying rocks or brush.
I'm using a Surflo 2088-474-144 24vdc pump (found a deal on it through ebay) also mounted under the truck in an enclosure to stay standard on all 24v components.

Last edited:

deuceaid

Banned
LowTech I do not have a build thread. Give me a PM and I can send you what you want on a regular email. I doubt most folks want all the details.

I have to agree with lowtech and firefighter,,,,,,,Show us some of your pics.... and I dont even have a 109..... also if you put in a stove or something, I hope badcarp shows his here--- it was some kind of combo unit with sink I think?

peashooter

Take a look at this outfit for water tanks. When you get through looking at the plumbing stuff go to the home page and check out their other items. A very nice site for a 109 fabricator. Just a note: Remember to install a good propane leak alarm, they are to be mounted low to the floor. You can see mine in the picture of the porta potty, it is the lower unit on the panel on the left next to the furnace outlet .I know you knew that just a reminder. Hate to hear something bad happened.

Plumbing Equipment on Orr & Orr, Inc.?

thanks, this is a good site for parts for a camper build