• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 General's Field Quarters

Iyaayas184

Does anyone hav blueprints for converting the van on an M109A3 into a General's field quarters? I have seen one for sale at Ft. Riley but the truck was in pretty bad shape. Would like to buy a M109 in the future and do the conversion myself. One I saw had a full shower, sink and toilet too.

Thank You,
Robert
:?:

Armada

RE: M109A3 General

I don't think there's an 'official' way to dress out the box, in other words, not an option when ordering the truck. My guess is the big guy probably just told the base carpenter what he wanted in it and turned him loose. It's however you want to make it.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is the "real deal, how it happens in the military" story on that.. The General says "make me a nice place to sleep" to his LT Aide De Camp. Aide De Camp calls his the engineer unit on post, and by the end of day, the funds have been approved, plans are drawn up, and they want to know what color to paint the walls.. Funny how fast things happen when the 1 star says "make it so".............

Iyaayas184

There was a company in Colorado that actually had a contract to modify close to 300 each 109 vans for this purpose. There were at least 2 different configurations with one having a full bathroom(show not tub, sink, and toilet), battle board, bunk, and closet. The other just had a bunk, closet, battle board and sink fed from a 5 gallon water can.

acetomatoco

Everybody is right...some by contract and some by field modification..most of em went to Civil Air patrol and cop agencies and so forth by donation...and everyonce in a while one pops up in DRMS...usually wity a leaky roof and of course AC and DC power wiring.

Dieselsmoke

Iyaayas184 said:
There was a company in Colorado that actually had a contract to modify close to 300 each 109 vans for this purpose. There were at least 2 different configurations with one having a full bathroom(show not tub, sink, and toilet), battle board, bunk, and closet. The other just had a bunk, closet, battle board and sink fed from a 5 gallon water can.
There was a RV place in Colorado Springs, down off Delta Drive, right behind Mobile Pre-mix, that did about a dozen a year for Ft. Cartoon. Place has been closed up for about 10 years now. Was nothing really fancy at all, but they were cozey.
I'm in the process of doing my 109 van right now. What I've been doing, going to all the RV/camper places and taking tons of pics.

Iyaayas184

Thanks Opie, The pictures of the one at GL were exctly what I was looing for. I want to put a shower and toilet inthe one I get. The pictures definitely help with figuring out placement of items.

Robert

2027Deuce

Thats pretty cool Opie. I like the panel wainscotting. Some RV dealers show floorplans on their website, you may get some ideas there.

Robert, you should be able to do a shower and toilet, I would figure out the waste tank placement and then design up from there. The supply tank location is not as critical if you pump the water. Good luck. [thumbzup] Scott

Iyaayas184

The one I saw at Ft. Riley had the pioneer rack and spare tire removed and had the waste tank placed there. I have a 70 gallon stainless steel water tank from a large executive aircraft I was planning to use Kinda big, but I can fit it so it can't be seen. Have to find a place for an instant hotwater heater but that doesn't take up much space.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am in the process of making the shelter on the duece more livable.
I plan to put in a fold down queen sized (inflatable) bed.
Other creature comforts will include a small fridge, microwave, sink and maybe a port-a-pot (if I can get ventilation installed).
Carpet has already been purchased and I have wood to build shelves and cabinet doors.
Construction will begin in ernest as soon as Freight Train reclaims his ringmount.
I'll post pics as the project progresses.