• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 LDS 465 Oil Pressure

harrdogg

I Have a 72 M109a3 with the LDS 465 motor the truck runs great but just started noticing the oil pressure gauge is dropping out. I start the truck the pressure comes up to about 35# with in 15 seconds and will stay there somtimes for a really long time an sometimes just a matter of minutes. The oil seams good i can open up the valve cover cap an see oil getting pumped in so i'm hoping this is a gauge or sending unit problem. Has anyone had this happen to them i'm thinking of just putting a mechanical gauge in the truck just so i know whats really going on

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Harrdogg its good that you noticed this! and remember this truck was built in 1972 that is a lot of time for little Gremlins to creep into things. You have two ways to go and both of them involve getting a good mechanical oil pressure gauge to install and find out what is really going on. If you get this new gauge installed of course start the truck and see where you reading is at, if its good then your only decision is to decide to keep the mechanical or replace the old gauge and sending unit for new ones. If your oil pressure is still dropping low then get ready to start a new thread on that. The first thing I would look at is how is the oil level? Then I would consider what type of oil your running in the truck, most of us on this site seem to be using Rotella 15w-40 NON-synthetic, I run that in every truck I own and have never had a problem. Keep us posted
Karl

harrdogg

Thanks Karl

I changed the oil about a few months ago an i also use Rotella in every diesel i have an have never had a problem with it. The oil level is perfect an i check it eveytime before i start the truck then after it cools down a check it again. I havent noticed any change really in the level nor have i noticed any small shavings in the oil. Ill try to get a mechanical gauge on it this week an see whats going on.

thanks again

RaggedyMan

I had the same problem in my deuce. Got a new sending unit and gauge only to find out the wire connection at the sending unit was loose, once I plugged it in tight it was fine..........if only you can be so lucky.