• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3: my second deuce, time to start prepping for recovery

teletech

Recovery from: Gatesville, TX to AZ.

I have too many toys, even before buying a shop truck.
I know that, so does my family and circle of friends, but I've been feeling nostalgic for my old M35 (yep, it was a gasser) and wanting an RV, so with no-one there to stop me from bidding... on a truck a thousand miles away.
What have I done?

I'm not completely green, I've logged a lot of time in a deuce (a decade ago but I still know where my thumbs go) and 2 years back I bought a project ambulance very nearly all the way across the country and drove it back (gasser=9MPG).

It's got a demil F code on it but I'm assured by GovPlanet that I'm good with just an EUC, I really hope this is correct. The oil pressure looks a bit low and the seats are a mess but it otherwise looks fair.

I'm thinking a flight out and a drive or perhaps find somebody to help with a tow just to get the truck someplace friendly for basic PM and assessment then another flight out to start the drive. Ideally coordinating with a convoy event and perhaps hauling some stuff for folks in a community- minded way.

I'll be cramming on articles soon but I'm happy to hear of suggestions, offers, or glaring flaws in my plans.

thanks all,

Jeepsinker

I wouldn't drive an unknown deuce home just because the auction people say it's good to go. To be safe you would need to go through the whole brake system first, and I have a feeling you aren't going to do that. As cheap as the shipping rates are right now, just have it shipped and save yourself a lot of head and heartache.

teletech

Well, that's where the move it to nearby storage and then come back comes into the picture, so I can prep for brakes and fluids.
Shipping a 109 hurts a bit because of the height and really, it's just way more interesting to make it an adventure.
Point taken though, I'll check rates and see if it makes sense to just be done.

peashooter

It's got a demil F code on it but I'm assured by GovPlanet that I'm good with just an EUC, I really hope this is correct. The oil pressure looks a bit low and the seats are a mess but it otherwise looks fair.

I'm thinking a flight out and a drive or perhaps find somebody to help with a tow just to get the truck someplace friendly for basic PM and assessment then another flight out to start the drive. Ideally coordinating with a convoy event and perhaps hauling some stuff for folks in a community- minded way.

I'll be cramming on articles soon but I'm happy to hear of suggestions, offers, or glaring flaws in my plans.

thanks all,
I think most all of the stickers on the trucks I've seen say "demil F code". Also I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pressure just yet. I think its very common for them to have a mismatched oil pressure gauge and sensor (often its a 60 psi gauge with a 120 psi sender). I swapped mine out with a mechanical one (temp gauge too). The sender is a little tricky getting to it but when you are able you can check the numbers on it and see if it is a 120psi sender.

teletech

I think most all of the stickers on the trucks I've seen say "demil F code". Also I wouldn't worry too much about the oil pressure just yet. I think its very common for them to have a mismatched oil pressure gauge and sensor (often its a 60 psi gauge with a 120 psi sender). I swapped mine out with a mechanical one (temp gauge too). The sender is a little tricky getting to it but when you are able you can check the numbers on it and see if it is a 120psi sender.
Thanks for the information and encouragement. It's been a looong time since I last bought at auction (pre internet, just go to the base) so I've got some butterflies. I would have thought after importing tracked armor I'd be calmer but I guess a new toy is still exciting! :)

teletech

Thanks, careful and safe is the way as I age. I suspect it helps keep me alive as I heal more slowly! :)

I hope the hassle of just getting it paid for isn't a sign of things to come.
5 calls to my bank and more to GP before they finally managed to get my card to work.

teletech

On track but not the fast-track.
I'm waiting for my EUC to come back and I'm told that could be a while since it's my first.
Of course, I should be using that time to see if there is anybody locally who might be in a position to assist with loadout and storage.
A slave-cable jump with the option for a flat-tow in case all is not well would be a huge peace of mind but I'll manage somehow... did I every tell yo about the M37 I bought in Canada off Epay that wasn't as advertised but drove back to California anyway...
Worst trips = best stories. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks