• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Recovery

Sundance

Well, arrived at Ft. Riley this morning at 8:eek:o AM. GL rep took me to the yard where my M109 was stored. It looked like the pictures and in some ways even better. I saw an old lot number on the windshield and was informed it was defaulted on once before.:cry: The first thing I did was push the brake pedal and it went to the floor.:cry:

Now I'm worried.

Opened the master cylinder and it was empty so I refilled it and after about 25 pumps I started to get a little pedal.:)

Hooked up jumper cables to my 2 new batteries and tried the master switch. The buzzer scared the @#%%p out of me.:oops: Well at least I had power to the panel. Pulled the stop cable out and hit the starter to check for hydro lock. It turned over just fine. I checked oil and it was full so I hit the start button.
:grin: It came alive immediately and sounded great.

Air pressure came up, oil pressure was perfect, battery gauge showed green, what a relief.:grin:

Changed the flat front tire topped off the rest of the fluids and drove it around the yard.:grin: Way cool. The guy that defaulted missed a great truck. Its a non turbo but I think I'll fix that. All the lights even work.

Next my buddy is flying in tomorrow morning and we start the looong treck back to Cincy.

I know .... the no picture thing ....but I can't upload them until I get to my other computer.

Man is there some cool stuff here at the base. Humvees, armored gun trucks, Bradleys, prime movers etc. Not to mention the choppers at Marshal field.

Well, hope to make it back by Thursday PM.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure and bleed the Air pac properly, before driving it home. Stop and check your BFS level, several times, on your way home. BFS does not evaporate, your truck has a leak, how serious, we don't know. Even with my advise, be prepared to have a "no brake pedal experience" on the drive home(it may pump up with rapid pumping). You have no idea yet, why the BFS was low. (experience says internal leaking air pac). You have a long trip home, use alot of caution.

KsM715

Sundance, were you heading north on hiway 99 sometime about 430 pm near the town of westmoreland, KS pulling a 105 trailer? Its about an hour from Ft Riley. I was headed south and saw a good looking 109 with 105 trailer and the driver had a huge grin. :-D

Sundance

Thanks for the caution, I plan on being very aware of whats going on with the brakes. Fortunately its almost all expressway driving with hopefully limited stopping. Plan on using engine braking and e-brake if I have to. I plan on testing brakes quite often while driving to help determine if I'm losing pedal again. Right now they are working fine.

Sorry that was not me you saw on Hyway 99.

Sundance

Got all the way to Batesville, Indiana and my engine blew!!!!!.......No not on the Deuce but on my F150 chase car :evil:. 52 MPH and a piston pin let go and pushed the spark plug clean out of the engine. This I didn't expect, oh well 160,000 miles and I guess anything could happen.

Made it home safely even though the brakes caused a lot of excitement. 750 miles and the M109 ran great. It really was an easy drive on the expressway.
Tracked straight, no vibrations, loud of course but really a lot more comfortable than I expected.

Now I need to work on the brakes, I'm getting a spray of fluid from the underhood vent when the brakes are applied. I suspect that doghead is correct in that the air pack has bad seals. Here goes trying to post a few pictures.

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dow or 3M could make a small fortune off of us if they produced an aerosol product that you could spray on all that chalk crap and wash it off. Good looking shop van. Air pack is most certainly ailing.

Sundance

Sad to here of your F150's ailment. Here's a repair suggestion for it: :deadhorse:

Now that's funny :|.

I thought I'd try some 0000 steel wool and laquer thinner to try and remove the paint stick markings. We'll see.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
750 miles in a non turbo 109 with iffy brakes and an old Ford chase truck. WOW! That's an adventure!

Congrats!