• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a4 from Wisconsin to AZ

411m109a4

Good morning all, I'm new to this since I've just purchased a 93 m109a4 that's in Sparta wis. I need to ask if you all think it's a good idea to try and drive that back to AZ or what should I pay to have it shipped and by whom ? I'd appreciate all the advice I could get , thanks Rick .

lost in the bush

Congrat in win. We did same in June. Strongly suggest you ship as the cost to drive yourself will not be less than shipping..

Break down in the middle of BFE and Mr Murphy involved can almost guarantee heavy costs.

Post on UShip or just contact our fellow MV brother bearboley

He just brought our two M923 from Ohio to Indy and will bring our 3 M105 later next week.
:grd:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/members/bearboley.html

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully it was cheap, cause that bill isn't going to be pretty (either way). Has it been inspected? Anything wrong with it?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That would be a long drive and a Hot one here in AZ.
But a shipper will have to have a step deck trailer due to the box on the back.
You can try U-ship and see if you get any bids.

Good luck with your recovery!!
Let me know if I can help in any way.

markmontana

i've driven a few from Sparta to Vegas area- if the truck is good- drive it. In general- I would rate the Sparta trucks as above average.

That's what this hobby is all about for me! Driving. Best of luck whatever you decide.

KC2WCQ

Shipping

Hi,

We would recommend shipping.

Our M109A4 came from Sparta to NJ in November. Expect to pay $2+ a loaded mile. The price of diesel, the risk of a costly breakdown, and time involved lead us to arrange shipping vs a sketchy recovery adventure.

You can look for a trucker directly, or use a broker like uship.com or HJMshipping.com

Our hauler was King Brothers King Bros Transport LLC - Home

No relation, just a satisfied customer. Nate King could not have done a better job for us, and all for a very fair price.

We didn't need a double drop deck, with the tires aired down a single drop did the job.

Good luck and enjoy the truck.

Rob

Last edited:

kennys@wi.rr.com

I must strongly caution against airing down the tires on any A3 variant truck. The tire issues all start from the tires on these truck going flat in the first place. The internal construction of the tire is a 1/16th to 1/8th" wire mesh. Once it's bent you will never again make it straight. Just my opinion take it for what it's worth.

KC2WCQ

A3 Tires

Appropriately put. Tire safety on a 16500 lbs vehicle is far from a trivial issue.

For the record, we aired down to about 10-15 psi, which is low, but not flat. Our tires are due for replacement because I don't like the weather checking and cracking in the sidewalls.

All A3's have (a/some) flat tire(s) while sitting in DRMO/GL, and 14.5R20 Mich XL are hard and expensive to come by with new DOT dates.

Tire replacement should be on every A3 owners to do list. There are many factors to consider including size, tread, DOT date code, bead type ect.

Do your research, be safe, and go with what works for you. YMMV.

Rob

kennys@wi.rr.com

Everytime I send an A3 variant down the road I recomend the owner replace the 14.5's with 395's ASAP. Not a big difference in size but I trust the 395 a lot more.

6x6guy

The top speed for that vehicle is 50 MPH, that's a real long drive in that truck.
Why do you think to Government got rid of these trucks- undependable and outdated-
nobody else wanted it - including our so called allies, and thay couldn't give it away to any local or county or state agency.
You have no idea of the service record and dependability of the truck- do yourself a favor and just
flat bed the truck- and don't worry about until it arrives. :roll:

6x6guy

The top speed for that vehicle is 50 MPH, that's a real long drive in that truck.
Why do you think to Government got rid of these trucks- undependable and outdated-
nobody else wanted it - including our so called allies, and thay couldn't give it away to any local or county or state agency.
You have no idea of the service record and dependability of the truck- do yourself a favor and just
flat bed the truck- and don't worry about until it arrives. :roll:

Last edited:

Bigjer

I won a M109A4 from Sparta last month and drove it home 675 mile to western SOuth Dakota. I had Jeff inspect the truck and it had a few issues that we had to fix before we left Sparta (Bad fuel and air system valves) it took me 15 hours at about 53 MPH. Went well for me but you milage may very.
Jerry

svan

DRIVE IT - got my M109A4 out of Ft McCoy last fall and Cousin Mike and I drove it home to Seattle WA - All wonderful +1,800 miles of it at 48 MPH --- DO IT as i don't want to be the only one in the 'crazy' club. :driver:

411m109a4

WOW , you guys are great ! Thanks for All the responses , very good points in all . I do have many more ?s , and I'd like to write a few of you direct if that's ok ? Thanks again guys , Rick

kennys@wi.rr.com

One of the great things about this website is the willingness of most people to help. I have sent several A3's down the road to various points and I have one sitting here now that is getting prepped to go to it's new home in NC. Sure that's a long drive in a truck that tops out in the low 50's, but you have to look at it an an adventure. When taken care of right and prepped for the journey there is no problem in doing it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks