• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a4 Light Mod on a M109a3!

Darwin T

Ok, about two or three years ago i came up with an idea. put the M35a3/M109a4 lights on my M109a3. since this is my Hurricane Evac Truck i may be in some bad weater and extra light never hurts in those situations. using one set for either headlights or running/spot lights and the the other set of lights as the other. so i started collecting parts. forward to yesterdays install. this is my M109a3 that when 100% LED in another post. so to stay with the program. i installed a set of LED Route Clearance Lights that i thought were LED Head Lights when i bought them and Amber LED Clearacne Lights for the sides. wired the Clearance Lights to the turn signal lights so people next to me can see that i plan to turn and i will be visable from all sides when the flashers are on. i still have some wiring to do (more wire in route). i am running the ground wire into the cab to a switch so i can turn the extra set of lights off when running down the highway. the LED head Lights use 40% of the energy of the regular headlights so with 2 sets thats still only 80% of the power. the olny issue i have (so far) is when i measured for the project i did not have a winch and raised bumper. the bumper now covers the bottom 2 inchs of the lights. once i get them wired up and see how they work i may have to raise the up to get them like i want. if the new light work well enought i may move the Headlights to the outside (which was the original plan until i saw the bumper in the way) and use the original light buckets as running/spot lights. we will see. :popcorn:

Attachments

Last edited:

Bad_Carp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a serious upgrade in lighting power by keeping the originals as well. I never liked the look of the A4 lights so it isn't something I would do to mine, but you did a good job with it.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no such thing as "too much light". What was your source for the 7" LED headlights and at what price? I am still looking for a source that allows me to purchase two and still have both my arms and legs.
Given how bright two of them are, four on high beam must be...awesome.

As far as the A3/A4 headlight buckets go, is there a reason that they are not centered on the fender when viewed from the front?

Darwin T

There is no such thing as "too much light". What was your source for the 7" LED headlights and at what price? I am still looking for a source that allows me to purchase two and still have both my arms and legs.
Given how bright two of them are, four on high beam must be...awesome.

As far as the A3/A4 headlight buckets go, is there a reason that they are not centered on the fender when viewed from the front?
the first two cost me an arm and a leg (i used someone elses). the other two i thought were headlights but they were route clearance lights (only 2 wires on the back no high beam). all came off ebay. i hope to have them lite up thursday night. church tonight. i am still waiting on wire to put the switch to shut off one set.

as for not centered, they mount to the outside of the fender (bolts throught the side see picture 4 and 5). that way you can still open the side folddown if you have the heater intake installed.

srodocker

HAHAHA At above post!!!!! i thought those were the headlights with the a3 buckets. I have a few for sale *end shameless plug* what did you pay for those clearance lights?

Darwin T

a member in the classifieds has 3 headlights for $800.00 right now. i am looking for some headlights but i have to many other projects and not enough money for all of them. the clearance lights will have to work for now.

Darwin T

well ran out of sunlight and the rain caught me. i got everything on the left side working and the wires run on the right side. once everything is working the i will start get it all bolted down. these pictures are of 3 lights on low beam. i could not get a good picture once it got dark because it would just show up as a big white spot. i had to stand on the side to get the last 2. the first 2 are while it was daytime and cloudy.

Attachments

Darwin T

ok, i got all the lights working, except the high beams on the old lights and the cutoff swith for the new lights. so i turned on the head lights on low the route clearance lights and the emergency flashers. it took me several pictures to get the flashers in the pictures. i still need to finish bolting down everything and tieing down the wires. then i can adjust the lights to get the light pattern i want. but for now it lights up very well. th last picture is my black ford ranger at about 30 feet.

i think i have the bad weather lighting covered.

some time in the future i am think about putting LED Headlight in place of the route clearance lights this will allow me to adjust the amount of light better, because the route clearance lights only have one setting, ALL ON.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks