• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M10A International Harvester Rough Terrain Forklift

ramdough

My "new to me" M10A will be here in a few days and want to see who else owns a unit out there? Anyone have any info on these units that's useful/interesting?
Wow! That thing is big. You are going to need more space in your lot to use that thing.

Glad it finally shipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! That thing is big. You are going to need more space in your lot to use that thing.

Glad it finally shipped.

There will be a massive rearranging here once it arrives and is checked over.

I think you need to drive it to the rally in March 2021!!!

rofl
Oh lord.. at 25 mph I better leave now to get there on time.
Engine is a reliable DT466B. It'll put out power. And would make it that far . I put a 5600lb rock on the rear counter weight cause it will pickup more than 10k by far
That's what I like about it (the engine). I'll look into more counter weights as my rear rack is full. From my research when waiting is that there's a S/N break signifying the difference between the Cab and ROPS units which includes a full sealing cab, heater, fa, etc.. but do any units come with A/C? I've seen one on Govdeals this year that was a recent rebuild (18' I think) and the listing said A/C but no photo inside the cab. I suspect they just saw the heater unit and assumed..

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There will be a massive rearranging here once it arrives and is checked over.

Oh lord.. at 25 mph I better leave now to get there on time.

That's what I like about it (the engine). I'll look into more counter weights as my rear rack is full. From my research when waiting is that there's a S/N break signifying the difference between the Cab and ROPS units which includes a full sealing cab, heater, fa, etc.. but do any units come with A/C? I've seen one on Govdeals this year that was a recent rebuild (18' I think) and the listing said A/C but no photo inside the cab. I suspect they just saw the heater unit and assumed..
Large enough counterweight and it will pickup an LMTV. With the rear tires just so slightly off the ground on the loader

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
She arrived today and rolled off the trailer with ease. Completely drained of all fluids..but looking at it glass half full that means half the work is done servicing it. Minor parts are on order and I'm going to pick up a barrel of coolant and 10w Monday. The engine has the RRAD sticker on it but I haven't seen any reset/depot tags on the machine yet. Oddly..they took the pins out of the lift arm cylinders which I'm guessing was for ease of handling or to drain any remaining fluid from the cylinders?

2020-06-06 14.16.25.jpg

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
She arrived today and rolled off the trailer with ease. Completely drained of all fluids..but looking at it glass half full that means half the work is done servicing it. Minor parts are on order and I'm going to pick up a barrel of coolant and 10w Monday. The engine has the RRAD sticker on it but I haven't seen any reset/depot tags on the machine yet. Oddly..they took the pins out of the lift arm cylinders which I'm guessing was for ease of handling or to drain any remaining fluid from the cylinders?

View attachment 802392
They were removed for ease of handling.

Cool thing about the m10 is even if it won't crank if you spin the motor over the hydraulics will raise in the front

ramdough

View attachment 802392
Looks pretty clean. Are all of the major parts there?

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks pretty clean. Are all of the major parts there?

All major parts yes. Some parts of the u-joint from the rear drive line they pulled must have fallen off between Arizona and Texas so those are on order. I did manage to get her to crank and start but without hydraulic fluid I shut it off quick to avoid running the pump dry.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LO says.. 31 gallons of hydro. Fuel wise I haven't come across anything directly saying the capacity but it's big. It's weird the internet doesn't have this LO published as a .pdf yet. Just that janky page by page site that's there for the web clicks that I wont name.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
LO says.. 31 gallons of hydro. Fuel wise I haven't come across anything directly saying the capacity but it's big. It's weird the internet doesn't have this LO published as a .pdf yet. Just that janky page by page site that's there for the web clicks that I wont name.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the system that is all lines and cylinders holds 31 Gal. and reservoir holds 14 Gal. that seems up to 45 Gal. total? No way the whole system only holds 15 Gal.
Nice score no matter what. Could the front forks be changed out to a bucket.

Scrounger

I got one off GP last December. They are nice units to have around the house. I was lucky in that the government did a full service, fluids, filters, air filters, and what not. They were even nice enough to install new tires and lights on it, then parked it for a year. It is nice to see our tax dollars at work. When I picked it up the engine oil was still clear. Needless to say, I was happy about its condition.

Some of the differences between the early and later models, SN 2000 and below are early, are the later models have full glass cabs with wiper blades. A heater in the cab to the right of the controls. The ones with the heaters have two fans for the driver or to keep the glass clear from fogging. The early exhaust was vertical with a flapper type rain cap. The later models have an angle exhaust to keep the rain out. They added valves to draw fluids for testing on the later models.

The model is based off of the Dresser 530 Payloader. I have been trying to find a bucket for mine. The hydraulic lines on the lift arms have quick disconnect fittings and the electrical connection for the fork control is a simple plug. The rest is the pivots pins. They made it somewhat easy to switch from forks to bucket and back.

There is a master electrical switch. It on the left side behind the cab next to the fender mount. When the forklift is parked for the day that switch must be off. If not, the batteries will drain. There is a relay somewhere in the engine compartment that is energized when the master switch is on. I haven’t bothered to figure out what it activates. I suspect the relay powers the cab, run, and starting circuit.

They use two 4D batteries. If you need any, they are NAPA part number 7266, ask me how I know. They had left the master switch on when parked and the batteries on mine were done. All and all I’ll take two dead batteries for not having to do anything else on the machine any day.

4.jpg
Trash pickup.jpg

fasttruck

In an earlier lifer when I had one of these things I got a set of TMS for it on a CD online someplace. As suggested on post 3, don't make a move without the pubs. I had the machine because it would pick up MT 20' freight containers and I had an RGN trailer to haul it around on. Eventually it was sold to Gary Mahan and if you have seen the U-tube video on hauling 16" naval guns to NJ, the machine shows in there. Mine must have been used by DOD civilians someplace and then only on February 29. It was a very clean machine. Letterkenny Depot must have sold a 100 of them by now. Lots of grease points. Neglect them at your own peril.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks